EMG 81/5150 Combo clip

Disconnekt said:
Exsanguis: It definitely is over EQed. 18 bands, as far as I'm concerned, is just unacceptable, and I'm working on keeping the essence of the tone while cutting down on the far-too-drastic notches. I actually had a lowpass in there, took it out so I had room to try some other things, got rid of the other things, and forgot to put the lowpass back in. Also, I made some tweaks while I was drunk last night, which is probably a BAD idea for trying to get something to sound just right. :p

For anyone who's interested, let's try something different for shits and giggles. Here's the recording straight off the mic. No EQ, none of Andy Sneap's low-end-taming C4 which I use religiously. :D

This is what I mean by nastiness. If anyone has any EQ secrets than will clean this up better than I've managed to, by all means, have at it and post the results.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jelmiger/Earbleed.mp3

If mp3's not good for anyone who's interested, I can also do .wav, .aiff, or .SD2 in 16 or 24 bits, 44.1 or 48 kHz.

Mix that tone with the EQ'd one (equal amounts of both), put the stereo mix through the C4 and drop everything below 80hz and evertthing above 10khz. It makes for a very nice tone imo.

Disconnekt said:
Amp completely stock. I bought it used, but as far as I know, it contains the original tubes.

Guitar is a Fender MIM Fat Strat w/EMG 81 at the bridge (and 2 SAs, but those aren't used here).

Mic is a Shure SM57, on-axis at the exact center of the cone, just barely off the grille.

Tracked into an Mbox and then obliterated with a metric assload of EQ.

The stock speakers have a LOT of nasty frequencies, but once those are tamed, you can get some pretty fucking awesome (in my opinion, anyway) tones out of them. I'm a big fan of that really snarly Fredrik Nordström tone as I have mentioned in the past, and although I haven't quite got it yet, that's what I'm going for here. Yeah, I know there's a lot of 2k there and most people don't like it, but I do. :p

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jelmiger/5150 Snarl.mp3

really nice tune. would it be possible that you could make a clip with some shred. am curious how the tone is on high frets.

DSS3 said:
I think it sounds fine, but I do have one complaint. What guage strings were you using, and I assume it's in C tuning? It sounds like you're using a fairly light guage of string, so they kind of 'give' more on the low string's palm mutes.

11s currently, but next time the intonation goes all squirrelly, I'm going to get it set up for 12s. I'm actually tuned in drop Bb at the moment, and yeah, it is definitely a bit floppy and loose. Also, I may be using a bit too much gain, and at some point I'll record dialed back to 5 to see how that sounds.

Mendel said:
really nice tune. would it be possible that you could make a clip with some shred. am curious how the tone is on high frets.

Thanks! I would, but I can't play leads for shit. :p Like I said, though, if you or anyone wants to send me a DI guitar clip or anything, I'd be happy to reamp and send it back.

Razorjack said:
Mix that tone with the EQ'd one (equal amounts of both), put the stereo mix through the C4 and drop everything below 80hz and evertthing above 10khz. It makes for a very nice tone imo.

Yeah, that does work. A bit rough-sounding, but pretty nice. I can accomplish the same thing by cutting all my EQ cuts in half. For that tone, though, I was going for the smoothness of the Nordström tone, and notching all the trouble areas was also unfortunately ripping the guts out of the tone. For any tone I actually used in a mix, I would probably leave a lot more in, rough spots and all, and I'd EQ to the mix instead of trying to get it right on its own.

For anyone who's interested, let's try something different for shits and giggles. Here's the recording straight off the mic. No EQ, none of Andy Sneap's low-end-taming C4 which I use religiously.

This is what I mean by nastiness. If anyone has any EQ secrets than will clean this up better than I've managed to, by all means, have at it and post the results.

I changed the dry recording you posted. I EQ'ed the signal and panned them both Left and Right and mixed them in stereo...see what you think?
http://www.acidplanet.com/components/embedfile.asp?PID=632901&embed=1&t=2044