emg 81 clipping issue

ashgallows

resonant manipulator
Oct 22, 2007
Culver City
www.myspace.com
Hi guys.

I have a question regarding recording di's with and emg 81. the manual recommends putting it as high as you can without affecting your playing. I have recently raised mine and love the tone coming from it when plugged into my amp. but when i go to record di's it clips the interface instrument input even with the gain all the way down.

I have tried using my countryman di box but i have the same issue as well as the tone sounds different when plugged into it (go figure). I have seen people recommend turning the guitar volume down on the instrument, but i am concerned that i will not match it up playing multiple takes of things.

i am plugged into an m-audio m-track 2x2 into reaper.
any insights?

...yes. so, raising the emg made it so much more fat and made it sound more like the tones you guys get on youtube (i was pulling my hair out trying to find out what it was that i was doing wrong). my mic was plugged into input 1 of the interface so I plugged in to the "instrument" 1/4" on the front...apparently that is only for passive pickups and the like.

the answer is that the mic input is actually a combo jack with a 1/4 in the middle and a much lower gain range going in...and sometimes if you have things plugged in to it you forget about it and make yourself look like an idiot on the internet.