EMG 81 or 85 for RGT42?

Dellinger

New Metal Member
Dec 9, 2005
Sweden
Hey guys!

What would be the best pickup to put in the bridge position of a Ibanez RGT42 (mahogny body, neckthru, lo pro edge), is the 81 too trebly on a floyd rose guitar or is the 85 too bassy for the mahogny body?

Well, i recently installed a 85 into the bridge of my washburn x-50 (mahogany body, set neck, string-thru-body bridge) and i was absolutely blown away by the clarity and the power of the sound (especially after the overly-bright stock pickup). I think the lows and low-mids are just fine. It doesn't sound boomy to me.

Yeah, and now i finally _have_ lows to compress with Andy's C4 preset :)

chadsxe said:
I hope that was a joke....

:) :) :)

Well, yes and no, the stock pickup was just too bright, fizzy, and didn't give enough of that low-mid power, so the guitar sounded tinny compared to many recordings by people from this forum, well, i know it's about my mixing skills too, but the 85 is so smashing, i think it will be a lot easier to get good results, can't wait to try and record something with it.
If only i had more time :)

EDIT: I should also say that EMG-HZ's on our another guitar player's guitar were better in that sense, but when he got his 85 too, he was blown away:)

Dellinger said:
Hey guys!

What would be the best pickup to put in the bridge position of a Ibanez RGT42 (mahogny body, neckthru, lo pro edge), is the 81 too trebly on a floyd rose guitar or is the 85 too bassy for the mahogny body?

I much prefer the 85 over the 81. I have an 85 in my mahogany Caparison Horus and it sounds great, much better than I've ever found the 81 to sound. I see you have good taste in guitars too, Caparisons rule! :headbang:

Ok, i have tried both now and i think its going to be the 85, seemed like it had a fatter and more full sound, the 81 was a little harsh and trebly and sounded a bit thin, but the 85 is perfect! Thanks for the advise guys :headbang:

Mark_Palangio said:
I much prefer the 85 over the 81. I have an 85 in my mahogany Caparison Horus and it sounds great, much better than I've ever found the 81 to sound. I see you have good taste in guitars too, Caparisons rule! :headbang:

Yes they are great guitars, i have an old blue through and through model (1997) that has the stock Caparison humbucker in the bridge - sounds good for soloing but is not so tasty for fat riffs :ill: , its a pretty banged up guitar, but it works great, i got it cheap from Chris Amott of Arch enemy.