EMG 81 or 85?

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
Hey Guys,
I've got a couple Alder bodied strats. If I wanted to try an EMG in one of them, what would you recommend I try? An 81 or 85 in the bridge position?

Thanks,
Steve

81! I have a 81 on the bridge and a 85 on the neck and can´t remember the last time that I really used the 85.

81! I have a 81 on the bridge and a 85 on the neck and can´t remember the last time that I really used the 85.
+1
the 85 is better for cleans
the 81 produces partial distortion inside the pickup, so its more ideal for distorted guitars, but not so for clean

the 81 uses a ceramic magnet. Ceramic pickups usually are more compressed, more punchy, have lots of mids (especially high mids), and are higher output (typically, of course).

the 85 uses an alnico magnet. These usually sound more open, have a sharper attack (less compressed), and aren't as high output.

because of the traits of the ceramic pickup, alot of people say its better for distorted sounds, and I definitely agree with that.

Same thing with alnico pickups and clean sounds.

these aren't rules, just generalizations.

get both and try for yourself. swaping them is really easy.

its the best way to find out which one suits you best...

take care

LG

Y'know... I gotta go against the grain on this one. I like the 85 okay in the bridge, and it has a great lead sound, BUT it's not even close to being as clear or tight as the 81 which to me is more important. The disadvantages of the 81 are more than made up for by the advantages and can be compensated by dialing the amp in correctly. If I didn't need/want that type of clarity I'd be using passives. As it stands the only passive I've played that's even come close is the duncan jazz bridge. Yet to try bk's or lawrence pups tho.

In a mahogany guitar I'd probably preffer the 85 based on what I've heard around here, but sicne it's an alder guitar, the mids might be a bit overbearing. The 81 might work well, or you could use the 85 for it's similar feel to a passive pickup (IMO) but jsut turn the mids on your amp down.

Thanks for all the responses... Since I'm looking at active pickups, has anyone tried the Duncan "Blackouts"? I forgot about those...

Based on dealing a lot with my friend's Jackson USA Soloist which is an alder body with two 81's in it... go with the 85.

The 81 + alder body wood = a sound that's so lacking in lows that you may as well be playing a banjo through the amp.

I definitely prefer the 85 in the bridge. Well... actually I prefer the 707 to both, but I guess 6 stringers don't get the option.

You gotta try them both, and use whatever you feel more comfortable with. I swore by the 81 in the bridge, and hated the 85 in the neck, so I decided the 85 sucked. After getting some advice on here, i tried the 85 in the bridge, and I loved it. Haven't gone back to the 81 since.

I'd say buy an 85. I prefer the sound, especially in alder, and there is no contest for versatility. If you don't like it, shove it in the neck position and put an 81 in the bridge - you'll likely wind up with that setup anyway.

Jeff