EMG 81TW & EMG 81 comparison

It sounds to me like the 81TW seems to have a meatier sound, while the 81 sounds somewhat harsh and nasal in comparison. My preference would have to be the 81TW. Thanks for the shootout. :headbang:

Subtle difference, but I'm definitely preferring the 81TW - thanks for this dude, looks like I'll have to pick one up! (and an 89 as well, for another shootout :D) These were both at 9v I assume? Nice consistent playing as well!

Sounds like it could be a reasonable alternative to an 85 in the bridge, should the lows and low mids of an 85 prove excessive.

As IMO they most definitely do, at least in my guitar! But it's really the lack of detail and clarity compared to the 81 that's the deal-breaker for me (here's a shootout I did some time ago)

Bugger, I think I may have missed that shootout. Nevertheless, you can never have too many shootouts. :kickass:

I have a suspicion that if compared to an 81 at 18v, the 81TW's(at 9v) mids may just seem to be a bit more intact in addition to the absence of the nasal/harsh quality of the standard 81 at 9v.

im thinking the 81TW may sound pretty decent in the neck position, and with the coil tap even more options!

Just one? In the neck? I reckon a pair of them. :heh:

Such lovely devices. In time, I shall have to explore the possibilities...

I have a suspicion that if compared to an 81 at 18v, the 81TW's(at 9v) mids may just seem to be a bit more intact in addition to the absence of the nasal/harsh quality of the standard 81 at 9v.

Couldn't have put it better myself! Tonally, I prefer the 81 at 18v, but I do find myself missing the focus in the mids running actives at 9v brings (in my tests of the 85, I preferred it at 9v over 18)

Experienced the same thing with EMG81TW vs EMG81, see thread here (with full details and soundfiles) :

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...uitar-break-getting-2-guitars-sound-same.html

To me the EMG81 sounds best : clear/defined/bitey/sharp/bright. The EMG81TW sounds more dull/bassy/unclear/less bitey in comparison. Adjusting amp EQ and gain can help getting closer to the EMG81 tone but it's still not quite there.

i wonder another thing about this comparison.. I bought a new schecter hellraiser and it has 81tw in the bridge. And my another guitar is Ibanez RG-2570 with dimarzio-ibz pickups. When i compare them Ibanez produces much more gain than the Schecter. If i replace the 81tw with a 81, will that solve the gain difference with Ibanez? Is 81 much louder and produce much gain than 81tw??

i wonder another thing about this comparison.. I bought a new schecter hellraiser and it has 81tw in the bridge. And my another guitar is Ibanez RG-2570 with dimarzio-ibz pickups. When i compare them Ibanez produces much more gain than the Schecter. If i replace the 81tw with a 81, will that solve the gain difference with Ibanez? Is 81 much louder and produce much gain than 81tw??

The gain/output has nothing to say about its quality. Turn the gain up on your amp :headbang:

yes thats what i do now but something is different and feels like something is wrong, because Ibanez feels comfy and powerfull,fluent in solos and Schecter is hard to play maybe it is the gain level, less distorted is hard to play solos but turning up the gain level doesn't exactly solve the problem,maybe changing the pickup with more aggressive one i think..Thats why i ask you is there gain difference between 81 and 81tw