EMG's-I've Yet To See This One . . . .

I've heard an Evo in a low/midrange Ibanez and I was actually really surprised at the body that it gave the sound. I normal associate with Ibanez with that signature thin, plastic sound but this thing could really hold its own.

I guess I am just more a fan of passive pickups. I have tried an EMG guitar (ltd EC-1000) and just did not like the sound of it. Like I said I know I am probably in the minority here.

I ripped the EMG 81's out of my EC1000, now have a JB in it and i love the sound.
Every 3 months i switch the JB in my Iceman to an 81 (lets try it again, everybody likes them), after 10 minutes the JB goes back in.

Maybe it's my Diezel, wich can handle a lot of PAF-style pickups, sounding Hetfield tight.

Yeah, I'm old school. I like my JB. It pushes the amp and has nice dynamics. EMG's seem to sound the same with everything, like not having a specific character.
Those D-Activators sound cool. Anyone try them?

I have. One is in my six-string right now, and I'm not changing that pickup ever again - it was my guinea pig for all sorts of different things, but now I've just decided that every 6 I get in the future will have a D Activator bridge. They're incredibly present and punchy but they still get very nice clean sounds, and I can hear just about any note of any chord through twice the distortion I normally use. Try one.

Jeff

I'll be the dissenting voice on EMGs and say the only thing I like them for is clean sounds. They're much brighter than any passive bucker I've used. The 60 is wonderful clean, but I have no problems with an 81 bridge, either. I don't usually like bridge humbuckers for clean tones; the 81 is an exception.

I generally prefer passives for my own personal use. I like the growl and dynamics of passives better. EMGs are too "slick" sounding for my taste. Yes, they're bright, tight, clear pickups, but that's not necessarily what I want for my tones these days.

I ripped the EMG 81's out of my EC1000, now have a JB in it and i love the sound.

I have a Duncan Custom 5 and a '59 in mine, essentially a hot PAF-type and a PAF. It's a great sounding guitar.

I've gone back and forth between EMGs and passives for some years now. I'm not anti-active; they do sound great and those tones work really well for a lot of people. They're just not what I'm looking for for my tone.