Emg's to cheap-o Jackson

Decimator

Apr 15, 2007
Finland
www.mikseri.net
Yo

I just "hot rodded" my Epiphone std with JB/Jazz set. Also replaced the the crappy bridge with Tonepros. It turned out great :headbang:

Next I may upgrade my Jackson DRX with some EMG's. I remember installing a EMG 85 to a friends Jackson guitar(which i believe was ps4) back in the day and it didn't fit that well. I mean it did fit in it's place, but you couldn't lower it enough so it was too close to the strings.

Is this normal to these guitars? Should I just take some drill etc. and make the slot deeper or could you suggest some other similar pickup that will fit right away.

Thanks

EDIT: Ok, I checked out the EMG dimensions from their homepage, but it didn't mention the deepness. If someone has loose one handy I would appreciate if I could know the deepness of the unit.

Also, if I put EMG85 to the bridge position, what should be in the neck position?? Because I did like the 85 more in the bridge position than the 81

On some guitars I prefer the 85 in the bridge, but on most, the 81 - but as for the neck position, I much much much prefer the 81 - way more bite, and because the neck position is so bassy to begin, it's thinness relative to the 85 is a blessing.

I've installed EMGs in plenty of Jacksons with absolutely zero problems, you should be good bro!

Hey thanks dudes!

I have thought it also that way that the bridge position needs a fat sounding pickup and the neck position thinner. As long as they don't sound too much alike. So it would be like 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck position. a reverse Zakk Wylde :heh: I like that. I believe I could try those. Anybody have it actually like that? Then there is also the middle single coil pickup.. I think theres no need to install a pickup there, but maybe a sustainer:err: hehheeh.. well, see about that

I've never played a guitar with a 60 in the neck, but I tried putting my 85 in my all mahogany ESP Eclipse tuned to C, and found it just a bit too flubby, so I prefer the pair of 81's that I have in there currently. However, in my RG in standard tuning, 81 neck/85 bridge all the way

In my alder body KE3 I have an 85 in the bridge & 81 in the neck. I like it. My only complaint is the emg pickup/instrument jack (which I guess I have to use) doesn't fit perfectly with the KE3 jack plate. I get the plate so its kind of snug over the jack but after (carefully) inserting and pulling out the gtr cord half a dozen times or so, the emg jack falls into the body and since I never leave it plugged in (to save battery), it happens constantly therefore pissing me off. :mad:

I guess I'm gonna have to drill the hole in the jack plate bigger (which sucks).
Maybe I'll try electrical tape first. Don't expect it to last long though. :mad:

I've never played a guitar with a 60 in the neck, but I tried putting my 85 in my all mahogany ESP Eclipse tuned to C, and found it just a bit too flubby, so I prefer the pair of 81's that I have in there currently. However, in my RG in standard tuning, 81 neck/85 bridge all the way

+1... While I do love how thick the 85 is, you sacrifice some clarity and tightness in the low end, when compared to the 81.

I really need to snag one of those splittable 81's that Schecter has for my neck slot that's currently empty.

you guys need to try the emg60 at the neck.

It shines there vs the 85 or 81. Since then I sold the jackson where I had it so I can't post some clips for you guys.

The 89 looks kinda interesting. Would be nice to have a single coil(ish) sound also. Seems that theres not other splittable emg models, bummer.

Does anybody have some test recordings with 85 and 60?