Emu 0404 Recording Questions

SweepsAllDay

New Metal Member
May 27, 2009
Hi everybody, I've been lurking around the forums a lot just gathering knowledge and whatnot and never really posted.

But, I haven't been able to find an answer to this question, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I recently have been using an Emu 0404 interface (not the soundcard one) to record my 6505+/Vader Cab with a Maxon OD9 up front, and an SM57 on the grill. The results seem pretty meh so far, but that's probably just because I still suck at recording. But the REAL problem is when I want to do any sort of Direct In stuff. The interface claims to have an instrument line for direct recording, but I was wondering if that is just bullshit. Because I have had absolutely zero luck recording with it direct in... I get a ton of mains hum, and some pretty crappy results (I'm using Revalver III by the way). Was wondering if a direct box would fix my problem, even though the interface was marketed as such that it SUPPOSEDLY didn't need one.

My setups are like this:

Jackson w/ EMG85 (or it is 81?) active at the bridge -> OD9 -> 6505+ w/ Vader Cab w/ OD9 -> SM57 straight on cone -> EMU 0404.
This sounds kinda meh, but I probably just need to EQ my head better or change whatever other million variables there are in this process. Since everyone else can make this sound amazing except for me.

Jackson -> EMU0404 -> Cubase w/ Revalver III VST.
This sounds terrible. Mains hum (I've checked multiple cables) like crazy, and just a terrible sound in general. Even just the dry recordings just sound kind of dead.

Jackson -> OD9 -> EMU 0404 -> Cubase etc. etc.
So far this has been the best of the two direct in (once its actually amped in revalver), but still sounds like shit.

So will a DI box solve my problems or is it something else? I'm open to doing whatever to just get a nice sounding guitar track.

Also... I just got this interface and I can still send it back for like... 17 more days, so if you guys know of something that would better suit my needs to just record guitar, let me know. :)

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks for reading.

yes, sounds like you need a DI box.

the reason why the tubescreamer DI route sounded a tad better is that the TS sort of acts like a DI in the sense that it converts the high impedance guitar signal into a lower impedance output signal (or at least this is what i remember from reading that epic TS faq thread :) ).

well, i just read the description of your interface over at thomann, and apparently you can switch the input from line to Hi-Z....you have to be at the HiZ setting to record direct guitars.
still, chances are a real DI will give you better results.

I've also got the Emu 0404, although the PCI version and have been able to plug my guitar directly in to record without any problems. I normally play directly into a podxt pro, I must say, which then plugs directly into the L/R mono analog inputs and then L/R mono analog outputs directly to their respective monitor. It might be a generic answer, but have you installed the latest emu 0404 software and drivers from creative professional's website? I had some issues with mine before I updated everything they had to offer. Just a thought, man.

I also have an Emu 0404 usb card, and have never had any sound quality problems.

This might be a stupid question but have you tried flipping the ground lift located under the inputs?