Enchant on Thursday night

Burke

Oct 14, 2002
South Florida
What an awesome night

All the bands were great last night but it was amazing to finally have the boys from Enchant on the Progpower stage

It was great to run into so many cool Enchant fans out on the floor (Anakin - sup man!) and I thought the band put on a really really great set
:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Queen of the Informed played live for the first time ever was a nice bonus too

And Hostile World kicked total ass as always

BIG thanks to Shane getting the guys to Atlanta!!
:kickass:

What an awesome night

All the bands were great last night but it was amazing to finally have the boys from Enchant on the Progpower stage

It was great to run into so many cool Enchant fans out on the floor (Anakin - sup man!) and I thought the band put on a really really great set
:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Queen of the Informed played live for the first time ever was a nice bonus too

And Hostile World kicked total ass as always

BIG thanks to Shane getting the guys to Atlanta!!
:kickass:

Couldn't agree more!! About time we got to see Enchant here at ProgPower, and they definitely brought the goods! Hoping they'll be back for the main festival next year!!!

It was an especially nice treat to get to hang out with the Enchant guys last night on the Artmore's outdoor patio. Great music, great musicians, great bunch of guys, too.

Thanks again to Enchant, Shane, and Glenn!!

Craig

They were fantastic, but I don't think they'd be invited to the main part of the fest at least until they do a new album. Who the hell knows though since they haven't put out a new album in 5 years.

Thanks for the info. I'm not surprised they don't do Enchant full-time but still, they were cranking them out at a pretty good rate there for a while.

they have like 1/2 of it written, according to what Ed told me. Like many bands, it's not like they do Enchant full-time, so it's more a matter of time and money.

From talking with Doug Ott about that, I get the impression that the motivation hasn't been strong with some members. Considering that real life can have that effect, I can understand that. Hopefully, a show like this will be a suitable incentive to push on.

Doug was very adamant that they weren't going to half-ass anything. When they go forward, they are going to go full bore.

I was impressed at how CD-perfect the show sounded, notably the vocals. Quite an achievement. :kickass:

It was all the more impressive given that they have had exactly 2 (that's T-W-O) practices since BARfest 2008. That's T-W-O practices in over a year, and they completely NAILED their set. That's incredible.

That info came directly from Doug Ott, BTW. He also said that getting together to practice for the show reminded him of how much he loves their music, playing with the other guys, etc, and that it really got him inspired about the band. Hopefully that will translate to finishing the long-awaited CD, since Doug writes the majority of their music.

Craig

They were very good. The vocals were really good. Shame about the tech problems with the bass guitar....that seemed to throw them for a bit. I was curious to see if they were going to try to play an edgier set since so many folks over the years thought they were not heavy enough to play at PP. For those more familiar, do you think that this was a typical set for them...or do you think they played their heavier material?

From talking with Doug Ott about that, I get the impression that the motivation hasn't been strong with some members. Considering that real life can have that effect, I can understand that. Hopefully, a show like this will be a suitable incentive to push on.

Doug was very adamant that they weren't going to half-ass anything. When they go forward, they are going to go full bore.

I wish I could have talked to Doug. I wasn't there on Thursday. But I wouldn't doubt them. He knew Kevin Gilbert, and the 1 time I met him, I was barely familiar with KG, who now I regard as my favorite musician of all-time.

Perhaps so many years removed from their last album, it may come out all the better, fresher, different, progressive, experimental..etc. I would hope so.

Ted has an amazing voice! The whole band is so tight. I loved them at the first BARfest and I loved them at PPX too. And this high praise is coming from a "power metal guy." Great music is just great music. I do have this wish to hear Ted sing a Kansas cover or some other 80's rock cover. His voice reminds me so much of the great hard rock singers from the 80's.:kickass:

Ted has an amazing voice! The whole band is so tight. I loved them at the first BARfest and I loved them at PPX too. And this high praise is coming from a "power metal guy." Great music is just great music. I do have this wish to hear Ted sing a Kansas cover or some other 80's rock cover. His voice reminds me so much of the great hard rock singers from the 80's.:kickass:

If I remember correctly, Ted's a HUGE Kansas fan, and Steve Walsh was a big influence on him, so this doesn't surprise me.

For other fans of Ted's voice, doing the US National Anthem, a capella, at a Giant's game...one of the best versions I've ever heard.

Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Love Enchant, but the singer leaving while all the instrumental parts were coming on was kind of distracting, although perhaps he did it to give the spotlight to the other guys!!

This was my 1st Prog Power and I was so glad that Enchant was part of it. It was great to see them play live after a year hiatus; I was one of the lucky ones to see them play last year at BAR Fest, but I am glad they were finally playing at Prog Power and my 1st one at that. One of the things I thought was awesome was I overheard a kid behind me talking about how he left class in Mississippi early because he did not want to miss Enchant. It turns out he drove about 300 miles to see Enchant. On top of that, this kid was a Death Metal fan! After the set the kid was so happy I thought he was going to cry.

Love Enchant, but the singer leaving while all the instrumental parts were coming on was kind of distracting, although perhaps he did it to give the spotlight to the other guys!!

I actually prefer this, to what James LaBrie often does..... Grabbing a tambourine and standing back by the drum riser looking interested? Rather see you take five off-stage and let the musicians do their thing....