Engl 530 preamp: Can I use it alone with impulses?

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I'm pretty sure I can, but was a bit confused on whether or not I need some type of power amp for it to work. I've only used amp heads in the past with impulses, which is why I ask. If so, which jack on the back of the preamp should be used?

There are a couple of different line outputs, but I'm guessing either of the regular ones would work eh?

which leads me to, anyone selling one of these bad boys?

-Joe

Well that's totally subjective. It depends on your micing capabilities, cabinet availability, etc. BUT, by using good impulses (ala GuitarHack), most on here will agree that they sound great.

-Joe

I'd like to know the answer on this one as well, since I'm still planning to get one of those.

From what I think to know from reading around here is that it should be possible to use it with impulses, since a lot of people only use the preamp out from their amp heads and not the power stage.
No idea if this will affect the sound, though.

I'm pretty sure I can, but was a bit confused on whether or not I need some type of power amp for it to work. I've only used amp heads in the past with impulses, which is why I ask.

Impulses that were made the way folks round here do it are simulations of their amp's power stage as well as the cab / mic / room. YMMV and "If something works for you, it works for you" and all that, but in theory impulses should only be used with a preamp output or disto pedal.

If so, which jack on the back of the preamp should be used?

Line Output R, Line Output L, or FX Loop Send. Avoid the Headphone and Frequency Compensated jacks, at least when you plan on adding cab impulses next.

Impulses that were made the way folks round here do it are simulations of their amp's power stage as well as the cab / mic / room. YMMV and "If something works for you, it works for you" and all that, but in theory impulses should only be used with a preamp output or disto pedal.

Line Output R, Line Output L, or FX Loop Send. Avoid the Headphone and Frequency Compensated jacks, at least when you plan on adding cab impulses next.

Great, thanks for the help.

-Joe

Are there any audio postings of a 5150 going straight into Boogex or Pristine Space? I'd love to hear how it sounds. Does it make buying a Palmer pretty pointless for studio work?

Rene...first off congrats on being god, don't forget me in the afterlife.

Also, I listened to your link. It actually sounded a little brittle to my ears..i am wondering if it is how you had your 6505 running into your computer...it didn't sound bad, but this of course is Ultimate Metal so I have to be picky. ;)

hey battletits just got home from work there and realized the clips on my E-snips weren't from my Peavey 6505 ! so I've uploaded a test for you to give a listen.

Ok peavey 6505 into 1 - splatts impulse
2 - hacks impulse

both sound great i can never decide between the 2, this should give you an idea of how the 6505 sound with impulses,
there is some post eq going on here but this is just eq'd to suite my own personal tone taste : )

haha yeah its kinda a dimebag tone so i just laid down some pantera riffs on this one

http://www.esnips.com/webfolder/e2f2c766-bd3d-499d-9bd4-104ff7575301

hey battletits just got home from work there and realized the clips on my E-snips weren't from my Peavey 6505 ! so I've uploaded a test for you to give a listen.

Ok peavey 6505 into 1 - splatts impulse
2 - hacks impulse

both sound great i can never decide between the 2, this should give you an idea of how the 6505 sound with impulses,
there is some post eq going on here but this is just eq'd to suite my own personal tone taste : )

haha yeah its kinda a dimebag tone so i just laid down some pantera riffs on this one

http://www.esnips.com/webfolder/e2f2c766-bd3d-499d-9bd4-104ff7575301

Link does nothing.