building your own preamp

noarin

Producer / Engineer
Apr 16, 2006
How hard would it be to "build" your own preamp or just take a consisting preamp out of an amp and make it work?

I'd like to take out the preamp of for example my marshall; build a box around it and let it have a jack output which I can use for impulses.

Well, they're just a bunch of analog components. "Anyone" can build it, but you must also know a little about them so that you won't kill yourself or others in the process :lol: Tube amps have around 500 volts going on in them.

How about just getting the Marshall JMP-1?

For the amount of time, effort and money it would take to build or re-build a high gain preamp section, the above is probably the better option. IIRC, they're only in the $4-500 range on Ebay, and they will certainly do heavy tones.

what you need to ask yourself is why you want to do it.

do you want to save money?
if so, dont bother, you're unlikely to save any money and its a lot of work, especially the hours upon hours of study just trying to figure out how tube amps work.

if you are an electronics nerd/masochist/"the-guy-who-spent-his-entire-childhood-playing-with-Lego-blocks-and-building-crazy-stuff" (like me :)) and are genuinely interested in acually BUILDING (not just "owning" a preamp), then go right ahead, its great fun!

taking the pre-amp section out of an existing amp wouldn't really be achievable, especially if its PCB based. building from scratch is do-able, but might not end up being practical, the box would be quite big i'd imagine as you'd have to accomadate the power-transformer and tubes in a DIY fashion, which wouldn't be as tight and compact as how the factory dudes do it :)

best to google for "guitar pre-amp schematics" or something.

i've built a Marshall 18watt and am half-way through a custom amp build at the moment,
its a lot of fun, expensive, painful and hard work, but definatly fun :)

hope that helps somewhat,

... actually, i'm curious about this, i'm gonna search the interwebs for a good schematic, i'll post here if i find anything use-able.

sewatt.com and 18watt.com are good places to start learning about building very simple amps. Just search around there for people that have built their own preamp. It's not that difficult TBH...

~006

Well, they're just a bunch of analog components. "Anyone" can build it, but you must also know a little about them so that you won't kill yourself or others in the process. Tube amps have around 500 volts going on in them.

...the things you can learn from mythbusters part #349278492874923:
Its amperage, not voltage, that is the killer. You can take even a million volts thru you, and it will hurt like hell, but you won't die if its under 6 milliamps. 60 milliamps is instantly lethal.

Its amperage, not voltage, that is the killer. You can take even a million volts thru you, and it will hurt like hell, but you won't die if its under 6 milliamps. 60 milliamps is instantly lethal.

Yeah, good call, hence why car batteries are only like 12 volts but a retarded amount of amps

but, in context, if you are working on an open amp, and your hand wanders across one of the High voltage terminals, or even the mains socket connections, there's a very high chance you'll spend the rest of your life being dead.

but, in context, if you are working on an open amp, and your hand wanders across one of the High voltage terminals, or even the mains socket connections, there's a very high chance you'll spend the rest of your life being dead.

...of course you realize that you shouldn't do anything electronics modifying related with the power connected? Thats like putting your penis into a wall socket

...of course you realize that you shouldn't do anything electronics modifying related with the power connected? Thats like putting your penis into a wall socket

unfortunatly, its a necessary part of building an amp, in the testing stages you need to take some measurements while the amp is live. its no fun, i can tell you! :)
i REALLY dont like doing testing on a valve amp, its downright dangerous, but must be done.

its the done thing, completely necessary, :) i'm not just some dumbass DIY-Amp n00b who likes to do dangerous dumb things.

i'm really not looking forward to finishing the current build, cos it'll mean another nerve-wracking few minutes working on a live amp.

EDIT:
-and yes, 18watt.com is the place to be, but only if you are building an 18watt, i dont think you'd get much out of it if your doing a pre-amp.