Engl or Mesa 4x12

symeboy

New Metal Member
Jun 23, 2013
Hey, I have a Marshall 1960adm (Dave Mustaine signature) cab which I like for live use, I used it for recording our last record, it sounded OK but I would like more 'girth', I guess a bigger low end, less boxy sounding.

Ive narrowed my choice down to the Engl XL/XXL and the Mesa OS (rectifier). Im in Ireland so the Engl is a good bit cheaper, im leaning towards that right now.

Ill be using a mixture of either Marshall JCM800 2210, Engl Savage or Peavey 5150. We play a blend of Thrash and power metal see link below, but we plan our next record to be darker, with "heavier" guitars - more layered, more downtuned songs with melodic death metal sound. A bit more modern sounding overall.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks folks

the mesa cabs are a sound investment - really well built, great UK made OEM celestion speakers, and the dimensions/design is tried and tested on so many records. if you can swing for the mesa you’ll have no regrets.
Thanks man, gonna order one tomorrow, much obliged sir!

Reactions: Machinated
Hey! Engl has great low end but think it has a bit boxy sound too, I suppose Engl 4x12 with V60 will make you happy! Here is my comparison of Mesa OS and Engl Pro (V30 replaced with V60 and G12-75).

Hey! Engl has great low end but think it has a bit boxy sound too, I suppose Engl 4x12 with V60 will make you happy! Here is my comparison of Mesa OS and Engl Pro (V30 replaced with V60 and G12-75).

Thanks man. Decided to go for the mesa in the end, can't wait to try it!