ENGL w/Cab Impulse *Guttural GROOVE*

CJWall

Oct 21, 2005
Southwest Florida, USA
ayyy dudes,

thought it was time I took convolution seriously so I used an impulse w/my ENGL Fireball to track this new song. Kind of changed style a little bit for this one and went back to the kind of shit I 'grew up' on; Lividity, Waco Jesus, Cryptopsy, etc etc.

If you don't like guttural vox, stop here. :)

G.O.R. - Proverbial Dissonance

?

EDIT: tweaked mix a bit

Brutal! Can you explain some details about the impulses used? How have you recorded the amp? Line out? Fx send? Was the speaker plugged or had you a thd or similar?

thanks dudes!!

sure, if you check around Keiffer posted a whole grip of impulses, I believe I used 22a or 23a, which was a v30 cab mic'd with an i5.

On the ENGL, for some reason a little bit of sound still comes from the cab when in standby mode, so all I do is turn the power on (as if i was going to just warm the tubes up) and use the FX send, send to my Fireface and monitor w/the impulses.

Works well and I don't neccessarily have to have a cab connected because I never actually put the amp out of standby mode :)

cheers dudes!

by looking at my amp here are the settings, which im pretty sure i didnt change since tracking this:

(o'clock):
gain - 9
bass - 2
mid - 2
treble - 2
presence - 12

ts-9 at:
drive - 9
tone - 11
level - 3

and of course keiffers 22a or 23a cab impulse!

Presence at 12?? What in the name of the lord is the crack there :O

haha yeah doggie, i have to filter from 12khz and up, but it adds a bit of air. dry the tracks sound a bit high-end-y, but fuck it. every time i lower it and dry to get it sounding rocking in the room it records super muddy.

ts-9 does add a bit of gain, without the ts-9 i run the gain about 10:30 or so.

If you use impulses, you can turn the presence to 0....
From the manual:
PRESENCE - This control shape the treble response in the power amp stage.

So...it doesn't affect the sound if you take the signal from FXsend

If you use impulses, you can turn the presence to 0....
From the manual:
PRESENCE - This control shape the treble response in the power amp stage.

So...it doesn't affect the sound if you take the signal from FXsend

ahhh, good to know! bravo.

i just used the settings i normally would w/my cab.

i'd like to get a proper loading device to be able to use the pre and power stages through a cab impulse..