ENGL w/Cab Impulse *Guttural GROOVE*

I have built a dummy load (there is a pic some post up) but I use the fx send (or line out)..i don't know if we can use impulses with the power section..it would be great!

Hey, I have found the way to use the power tubes with impulses!
In the savage there is a XLR output and if I record from this output, I can use master pot so, this output allow me to use pre and power tubes.
The signal is very low...I think it should be plugged into a preamp.
The Fireball haven't this output, I'm sorry :\

So if I wanted to use my JSX with impulses, all I have to do is leave STANDBY off and use the line out level control to adjust my level? And with that, I can leave it unplugged from a cab?

~e.a

If you have a thd there is no problem.
Cj uses the standby trick and as we can see, it works ...Cj, is your fireball alive? :D
Other trick is to make a dummy load like mine: http://www.vjsound.it/public/immagini/forum/Dummy2.jpg

I don't know if a load is necessary...with impulses you can put the master at 0 because you take the signal from the pre output and the power section is not used...my dummy load with master at 0 is cold but when I raise the pot to 1 or >, the resistors become very hot... I don't know
But...I use dummy load ...less risk! :D

So that dummy load you made actually works? What parts are involved and about how much does it cost to make? What amp are you using it with?

~e.a

Hi!
It costs very much.......20€ shipping included! :D
It works very well...I use my amp (Engl Savage 60) without cab every day.
All you need are 4 power resistor with eat sink(each 25W, 8.2Ohm) and connect them in series/parallel).
With this connection you'll have a total load of 100W/8.2Ohm.
The resistors should be 8.2Ohm if you choose the 8Ohm amp impedence or 16.4Ohm for 16Ohm amp impedence.
The scheme is here:
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3544/dummy2ph6.jpg

If you use it with impulses, your master can be at 0 because you'll take the signal from the pre output (or send fx). If you raise the master (no reason), the resistor become very very hot and you should put a eat sink for cool them.

Has anyone tried this impulse-stuff with a 6505 / similar? I´ve searched and searched but didn´t find an answer on which signal of my amp I should bringt back to the PC.

Seb

damnit i just tried it and the standby trick doesnt work with my 6505. so i guess the only way is to use the preamp out with a loud ass cab or get a thd.

damnit i tried with the fx send too and it wouldnt work with my 6505. if there the same amp then i probably did some shit wrong. my chain was
guitar - 6505 - fx send - pod xt - computer and i couldnt get any sound.

Why are you guys fussing about not using the cab at all?? I always record with sound coming out of my cab. It just sounds so much better to me, more direct, no latency and you don't have to commit to impulses until mixdown.

Just turn the master way down so that it's really quiet ...

CJ: That sounds really cool ... now I want to tune down my guitar from Drop C again ...

Why are you guys fussing about not using the cab at all??

Since I have the choice of driving my stuff loud two days a week (it stands in the room we´re actually recording vocals for our LP) or using it extreme low where I live (thanks to my really metal-hating neighbours) I have no options.

Since I have the choice of driving my stuff loud two days a week (it stands in the room we´re actually recording vocals for our LP) or using it extreme low where I live (thanks to my really metal-hating neighbours) I have no options.

That's what I am talking about. I have the master set to superlow. It's like listening to the TV. Most of the time I hear my strings as loud as the amp. If your neighbors still complain about that, check your apartment for surveillance equipment :)

Just turn the master way down so that it's really quiet ...

with the preamp out I did turn it down to 0 and the signal was extremely quiet. i had to boost by 40 db just to even hear it a little bit.

As far as the pre-amp out is independent from the power-amp (so it´s before the power amp in the 6505), ain´t it regardless if you put the post-gain to 0?

thats what i thought too but i guess it has to have something to do with the preamp.

and i use the pod xt for a DI box. its all i got :erk: