Enslaved... holy fuck.

strings

New Metal Member
Nov 14, 2012
It's been a good while since discovering an awesome band and although late, I stumbled across Enslaved and I can't get enough. Each album I get just gets better and better. Hordan's Land, Isa and Blodhemn.

All I can say is with their massive library, can't wait to get more of their albums. I'm not sure which albums to get next... what are some of your favs.?

I really enjoy the atmosphere and melodies in Isa and Ruun albums. I've listened to all their stuff and I have a neutral feeling about most of the rest of their discography, but I guess when talking about a band like Enslaved with a lot of variety in their music and styles everyone could take a different pick.

I have Ruun and Vertebrae and listen to both occasionally and enjoy them, but I have not really heard anything else from the band as of yet.

Both Ruun and Vertebra are awesome, but their last one, RiitiiR is possibly their best. I think it has the strongest songwriting, diversity and energy. It creates an 'otherwordly' atmosphere. It's great. Yep, Enslaved is a fantastic band...one of the best going for sure, in my opinion. And Ruun has maybe the coolest cover art in heavy metal history.

Enslaved_ruun.jpg

Fucking Eld. Such an epic record. Vertebrae is awesome too.

You're going to find varied opinions on Enslaved. They started off as black metal and gravitated toward prog, all the while implementing great melodies and clean vocals (occasionally). Your best bet is to consider the recommendations here and then go read what people have written elsewhere, on Metal Archives for instance.

I really dig Enslaved and feel they are a consistent and diverse band. I love RUUN, Isa, Below the Lights, Vertebrae and RIITIIR. They have their own sound, imo and they are pretty good musicians. Very good with bluesy/jazzy cords and layering cords over each other. Great band, there's really a lot to say about them. I could tell the lead guitarist is into Pink Floyd because his solos are really bluesy and melodic like Pink Floyd instead of focusing on playing fast.

Vikingligr Veldi is their best and is pretty high up there in the pantheon of black metal releases. Vertbrae is a masterpiece in its own right though. It's amazing how consistent they are; they basically only release good records and great records.

There's a reason I stated that they were the best currently active metal band in the other thread. Glad to see people talking about Enslaved on here...they truly don't get the credit they deserve.

np - October Falls The Plague of a Coming Age

There's a reason I stated that they were the best currently active metal band in the other thread. Glad to see people talking about Enslaved on here...they truly don't get the credit they deserve.

Disagree with that last part. They are pretty much praised by every major extreme metal outlet and generally get hyped by most fans. Furthermore, one of their early records will be on just about any essential black metal list. Not putting them down at all-I'm definitely a fan- but to say they don't get credit is inaccurate.

I'm listening to Vertebrae at the moment and rate it pretty high, as well as Isa, Ruun and Axioma Ethica Odini.

But to the OP - if you prefer the more straight-forward black metal sound, go the earlier albums. If you like a more prog-influenced sound with a mix of guttural and clean vocals, the later ones are your pick.

Personally I think their latest RIITIR is their best album; they really have hit their stride in songwriting, riffs, and the mix of vocal styles. Really looking forward to their next album.

Also with their later albums I don't hear any black metal, or very little - it's only Grutle's vocals that (can) have that guttural BM sound.

This is one of my favourite's of their songs:

*edit* just listened to this and some of it gives me goosebumps it's so good, like the flamenco-ish riff around 7:00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree with that last part. They are pretty much praised by every major extreme metal outlet and generally get hyped by most fans. Furthermore, one of their early records will be on just about any essential black metal list. Not putting them down at all-I'm definitely a fan- but to say they don't get credit is inaccurate.

I meant they don't get credited enough on UM. Other than this thread, I think I've seen them mentioned all of twice since I've been registered.