Enslaved - Recommend an album

sambojoho

May 25, 2008
I have just been introduced to the world of Enslaved within the last couple of months. Vertebrae was my first CD, followed by Below the Lights, Isa, and Ruun.

I only have enough to get one more right now. What would you recommend? I was leaning toward either Monumension or Mardraum. Or maybe I should get something else?

Based on what I have heard so far, I probably can't go wrong with any of them, but I haven't heard any of their albums before Below the Lights, so I don't know which to pick.

Absolutely get Monumension. Mardraum was a transition album and isn't very good from what I recall (though there are still some good tracks on it).

Eld and Vikingligr Veldi are also very good for their older material.

Are you kidding? Every Enslaved album is basically a "transition" to their next album, one of the reasons Enslaved is so great. Mardraum is fantastic.

Are you kidding? Every Enslaved album is basically a "transition" to their next album, one of the reasons Enslaved is so great. Mardraum is fantastic.
I consider it a transition album because it's when they started added a lot more progressive influence, but the material was still predominantly black/viking metal. Later albums are much proggier.

everyone in here is wrong except for me.

Get behold the lights, if you like it then get Monumension, and if you like that get Maardruum or however the fuck you spell it. Their new albums are shitty compared to the older ones. Not as much originality. All the songs are slow. The chord progressions in general are less interesting and the song writing overall is less interesting. That being said i still enjoy it more than most other bands, i just think they have 'truely' become less progressive, than they used to be and more stereotypical of what is expected in the 'progressive' genre.

Get them all except for maybe Blodhemn.
Personally that's the only one I don't care for