Should I go see Enslaved in a couple of weeks?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Here's my predicament: having seen some setlists, Enslaved play most material from their last 2 albums and I'm indifferent towards much of it. Or rather, it's hit and miss.

Recently, I've really grown to like: "Path to Vanir", "Isa", "Ascension", "Lunar Force", "Bounded by Allegiance"

There are others I'm not too overly keen on: "Fusion of Sense and Earth", "Essence", "Runn". In fact, I'm just wholly disappointed by Ruun altogether.

I LOVE Monumension & Below the Lights. I'd be delighted to see "The Voices", "Queen of Night", "As Fire Clean Swept the Earth", "The Crossing"!!!!!, "Convoys to Nothingness".

Anything previous is irrelevant since it's mostly dismissed for the live show anyway. (I'm not going just to see "Loke" for example).

What I don't want to happen is me showing up to an Enslaved show, hanging around for 4 songs and then leaving! The problem is, their recent material would be better suited for a sit down show. If this was a seated auditorium, I'd be more likely to go so I can snooze through the Ruun material.

I didn't go when they came around, because I hadn't heard the new material. I'd say it's worth it if you like Monumension and Below the Lights.

last few times I saw them they played both old and new stuff

their newer prog songs sound much heavier live than on record

my advice: go see them

Zod - their setlists vary where that song comes in and out sporadically. It'll be pot luck.

Re: Enslaved albums, I'm a big fan of Monumension and Below the Lights. Dark, brooding, and very contemporary sounding. I would be going for that material and while Isa has grown on me, Ruun hasn't as much. Still, if it works better live then perhaps it's worth the effort.

I hope Enslaved have this 70's Floyd moment out of their system for the next release because the last thing the world needs is Ruun part 2. They can be so much more creative whilst retaining this element of pitch blackness -- just look at the magnificence of Monumension.

Zod - their setlists vary where that song comes in and out sporadically. It'll be pot luck.

I love that track as well Greg.

JK said:
Still, if it works better live then perhaps it's worth the effort.

They were great at Wacken - and that was in an outdoor festival setting. Get them into an intimate venue and I can see it being the perfect way to experience them.

But hey, where/when is the show dammit! :lol:

the show is at BB Kings on November 8th

the thing is, considering how much bias they have towards their worst album, we're banking on the music translating differently in a live setting. If BtL is their Blackwater Park, Ruun is their Ghost Reveries. They have become too Opeth'ised.

from what I understand it is too expensive to book a show at a prime venue in Manhattan on either Friday or Saturday night ...

let me rephrase that ... its too expensive if you are part of a tour that is not sure to sell out :loco:

hmm ... possibly ... although Enslaved ... I would not bet on it ... who are they playing with?