Should I go see Enslaved in a couple of weeks?

i love Ruun. their best since monumension. i dont share the love of BtL.

that is a good seinfeld episode. my fave is still George doing the complete opposite of his instincts. shrinkage is another one.

George=best Seinfeld character.

I love that one! :lol:

George does indeed rule.
george_costanza020.jpg

so what's on the NY RC contingent show agenda for the next few months?

- nov 1 ... Type O in Long Island ... trying to make this one
- nov 8 Enslaved and Arisis ... pass for me
- nov 18 ... would like to see Gojira and Behemoth at Irving Plaza ... last night of tour ... and Gojira being big lovers of NYC ... it should be a scorcher ... we shoudl go to this fucker :kickass:
- nov 21 ... Slough Feg ... going
- nov 25 ... POSSESSED at BB Kings ... really want to but might be too much for one week
- dec 3 ... Amon Amarth and Decapitated ... did Zod get tickets for this as I am in

whol else is touring these next 2 months?
-
-

Atlanta setlist, swiped from the PPUSA forum:

Path to Vanir (this was first)
Isa
Ruun (this was the 'closer' before the encore)
Return to Yggdrasil
Fenris (I think it was-- from "Frost")
Bounded By Allegiance (dedicated to Vitek from Decapitated)
As Fire Swept Clean the Earth
Fusion of Sense and Earth

I'm missing a couple.

The encore was
Allfadr Odhinn
&
one of the others from Hordanes Land....

These old songs sounded especially excellent

Incidentally, finally got around to watching "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey", and I must say that Grutle is one sexy man. Not only does he have the hair and body of a Viking god, he's got a speaking voice that books-on-tape actors would kill for. Oh yeah, and the film made heavy use of Enslaved songs, which helped remind me how Enslaved is pretty much better than everyone. Well, them and Iron Maiden. And Slipknot.

Neil

What does the set list look like?

Neil posted this right above my post (the songs are not in order):

Path to Vanir
Isa
Return to Yggdrasil
Fenris
Bounded By Allegiance
Ruun
Allfadr Odhinn

There were other songs the guy couldn't remember who posted that setlist and I'm inclined to believe "The Voices" from Monumension will also be on there - it was amazing at Wacken. Others that I saw at Wacken not on that setlist include "Essence" and "For Lenge Siden" (another awesome live song).

Jason

Neil posted this right above my post (the songs are not in order):

Path to Vanir
Isa
Return to Yggdrasil
Fenris
Bounded By Allegiance
Ruun
Allfadr Odhinn

There were other songs the guy couldn't remember who posted that setlist and I'm inclined to believe "The Voices" from Monumension will also be on there - it was amazing at Wacken. Others that I saw at Wacken not on that setlist include "Essence" and "For Lenge Siden" (another awesome live song).

Jason

No surprises in that setlist, looks like they're essentially playing the Ruun tour setlist. I would love to see "The Voices" and most definitely "The Crossing" which they sometimes play.

Should be a good show, only me and Zod are showing up to represent the tri-state, yo. Maybe Sfarog too.

I AM FUCKING SICK. I spent so long getting to know Isa and Ruun better, specifically for this evening, and I'm too gay to go.

I did really enjoy that NYtimes article and felt inclined to send them an e-mail -- don't critique it too much, it's the sentiment that counts:

In reference to the article written by Kelefa Sanneh, published today on November 8th 2007, I wanted to express my gratitude in finally seeing some mainstream insight on a band like Enslaved. The reporter has obviously scratched beneath the surface and looked beyond the clichés riddled throughout the world of “heavy metal”.

The underground heavy metal scene is vastly misunderstood and often still considered to be a music genre which ended abruptly in the early 90’s when the “hair metal” scene imploded and grunge took its place. This can’t be further from the truth. While it disappeared from mainstream attention, it found a small following in the underground which in turn has only recently surfaced and gained wider interest with the advent of on-line communities.

Recognizing that fame and fortune is no longer a viable reward, genuine underground metal bands have focused on creating art primarily for themselves and not for a select audience or record label contract, which has allowed the genre to evolve in a much needed independent fashion. Multiple branches have emerged and a spectrum of musical styles now exist where one sub-genre may have almost nothing in common with another, and yet both still be connected to the same roots of metal. Elements of rock, jazz, folk, classical, blues, and world music run rampant throughout the family tree – all of which can be witnessed in the Enslaved discography alone – together with lyrical concepts ranging from ancient mythology through modern day real life struggle. Heavy metal is as eclectic as eclectic can be.

Again, I wanted to express my thanks. I am a 37 year old, “white collar” management consultant, working in NYC, married with two young children and have been listening to heavy metal since I was 15. I completely acknowledge the fact that I am in the minority among my peers when it comes to tastes in music, and to a certain extent, I wouldn’t have it any other way. Fans of this genre don’t feel the need to explain themselves or substantiate any argument, which is why seeing a well written article on Enslaved in NYtimes dot com is welcoming only because, while I don’t feel any need for this music to regain mainstream popularity, it is always nice to see it earn some mainstream respect.

make sure you send it to the writer ... not the paper

Yeah, I wanted to. I wasn't looking to get published or anything so I searched high and low for her direct e-mail but no such luck, so I sent it to The Arts general e-mail address. That's who she freelances with I suspect.