Saw Opeth and Enslaved last night

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
...here in San Francisco. It was great. I've seen Opeth probably too many times at this point, so to be frank I was at least slightly bored by their set, though it was in every way excellent. Still, Watershed was in my top 10 last year, so it was cool to see them.

It was cooler to see Enslaved though! This was my first time seeing them, and I think of them as, "the other," big progressive black/death metal band, second to Opeth in popularity with the masses, but making better records at this point than Opeth....in my book anyway. The early stuff is killer (thanks Soundmaster), but everything from Below the Lights on is better and better, and more progressive. The newest one, Vertebrae, was also in my top ten last year.

Great show. Enslaved came out and signed posters n' stuff after their set.
Here's a photo of me with them! I'm on the left.

4323_197332300170_657290170_6849076_637250_n.jpg

Enslaved Setlist:
To the Coast
Fusion of Sense and Earth
Ruun
As Fire Swept Clean the Earth
Ground
The Watcher
Isa

His vocals were great. He seems to share the clean parts with the keyboard player. They kind of traded off that way. Their sound was actually better than Opeth's was. They put on a killer show, full of enthusiasm, and with a very accurate, yet live, retelling of the songs. It actually reminded me of the first time I saw Opeth, back on the Deliverance tour.

I should mention too, that they were each very humble, very pleasant people. About as down to earth as it gets, but with nice, scandanavian manners. It was a pleasure to meet them, and they rank amongst my very favorite bands post-nineties too, top five, so it was a real thrill to meet them.

I saw them 2 weeks ago, but only caught the last Enslaved song. I've seen Opeth a ton lately as well (6 times in the last 4 years), but I go now to see them do songs I haven't seen yet....which I got 3, but Wreath is still avoiding me! :(

Karma must have been sick. Hessian Peel was!!

Drove about 8 hours to see Opeth in Boise. Great freakin show! Somebody thru an empty tall boy at Mikeal, think it hit him. He responded with a "you cunts!" Killer show. Both bands rocked my face off.

Talked with Mikeal before the show. Super nice guy.

Jumped into the mosh pit. Prob shouldn't have since I wear glasses and I'm not that young anymore. But I didn't get hurt so it was worth it. Had a blast.

Hessian Peel was incredable. That song blew me away. :OMG: