Enslaved Revisited

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Going through Enslaved's works. I'm only through Vikingligr Veldi right now, but I must admit, I've never been blown away by Hordanes Land or VV...until now.

The Enslaved half of HL makes Emperor look amateurish, and VV is simply a masterwork.

Eld has always been my favorite, but it's gonna have to flawless to top this. Don'tcha just love when an old album (that I've had for years) rings true to the ears and everything just.........makes sense?

Looking forward to Eld, Frost, the Satyricon split, and Mardraum. Not really looking forward to Below the Lights or Isa, but I'm gonna give 'em my best shot.

Stay tuned...

J. said:
Don'tcha just love when an old album (that I've had for years) rings true to the ears and everything just.........makes sense?
Yes.

J. said:
Not really looking forward to Below the Lights or Isa, but I'm gonna give 'em my best shot.
Why? Because they're not tröö? They distributed more than 8 copies worldwide? They're not part of a vinyl split? The instruments can be distinguished from each other? It's NuMetal?

Just curious. :loco:

Zod

General Zod said:
Why? Because they're not tröö? They distributed more than 8 copies worldwide? They're not part of a vinyl split? The instruments can be distinguished from each other? It's NuMetal?

Just curious. :loco:

Zod

haha, because they're simply not as good as the early stuff. However, I do like Monumension and I remember liking Mardraum. BtL and Isa did nothing for me, unfortunately.

J. said:
haha, because they're simply not as good as the early stuff. However, I do like Monumension and I remember liking Mardraum. BtL and Isa did nothing for me, unfortunately.
"Isa" has been a disappointment for me. But "Below the Lights" was my introduction to Enslaved, and to date it's my favorite. That said, I've yet to spend much time with their early works. Too much good music, too little time.

Zod

Blodhemn was very rushed. They basically had a week to hammer out all the songs from just a few riffs they had lying around.

Just listened to Frost a while ago. Hmmm, that is good, but hardly their strongest IMO. SOme good songs, some average.

The Yggrasill material on the Satyricon split is quite nice, though.

below the lights is FUCKING AMAZING. i've been listening to that album a lot over the past few weeks.

need to hear isa god dammit.

Blodhemn actually impressed me a lot last night, while Eld was not as amazing as I originally remember.

Isa is their worst.

Isa was a pretty boring/tired sounding album to me. Not the kind of thing I like at all lately. Another shot some day wouldn't go too far amiss.

well fuck me, Mardraum is fucking great! this one I suggest to the prog-ENslaved lovers. forget Isa. Seriously.