JEFF IS A BUM: Norwegian Black Metal - the lesser known bands plus opinions

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
So I'm listening to all of my Norwegian black metal CDs lately. Next I'll move to Sweden. Yes, I am that bored while looking for a job or waiting on my winning lottery ticket.

I'm going through all the major players like Emperor, Enslaved, Burzum, Immortal, and Ulver. But also a lot of the lesser known bands. It's confusing as to why some of these bands are not among the more well-known ones.

Aeternus
While not true black metal, I still don't understand why this band is not hailed as masters of their craft. The debut EP and first two full-legnths are untouchable as a trifecta. And even their atmospheric epic brutal death metalis not bad at all.

Asmegin
Naturally, since they are fairly new, they won't be amongst the elite, but I feel I must mention them. Their album is a stunner. That Solefald dude gives his best performance for Asmegin. It's a dark, atmospheric album with great vocals all 'round.

Fleurety
Their first is a classic, but still not well-known if I go by this forum's knowledge on the band and the debut. Of course, ignored because of the avant tendencies and the era it was released.

Forlorn
I've heard their latest, Hybernation, is Dimmu worship, so I gnored it. But their s/t debut and The Crystal Palace are amazing epic viking black metal. Both beautiful releases in their own right. Not entirely original, but worth t if you like that style. Opus III is a mixed bag, with a few good songs of astral viking metal.

Hades
Why this band never got beyond the shadow of the others is beyond me. Again Shall Be is awesome, and The Dawn of the Dying Sun is to die for. Millenium Nocturne was OK, and I haven't heard Pulse of Decay. TDotDS is buy or die.

Helheim
This is the most puzzling one, since Helheim is better than Burzum, Ulver, Immortal, Emperor, and even Enslaved IMO. The demo, Jormundgand and the unfuckablewith Av Norron Aett are majestic pieces of viking black metal art. Pure fucking Thunderground, right here.

Mock/Kampfar
Solid stuff here, especially the two Kampfar full-lengths. Not exactly premier league like Helheim, but very good and worth checking out for fans of black viking metal. Mock is more straight forward, but it is well executed.

Manes
Downright fucking creepy atmospheric black metal. I really like it. I've got one of their rare demos as well as Under Ein Blodraud Maane, which is slowly becoming one of my favorit black metals alongside Helheim and Fleurety. Total necro.

Those are the only lesser known Norwegian black metal bands I own, but here are some more tidbits:

-Quintessence owns the rest of the Borkie catalogue. So easily.
-I find Burzum's "atmospheric" casio pieces to be quite tedious, especially the one that closes Filosofem. But I like the sci-fi type one on Det Som Engang Var.
-In the Nightside Eclipse is better than I remember, but I still prefer Anthems.
-IX Equilibrium is not nearly as bad as most people want to believe. It somewhat enjoyable, actually.
-Other than Eld, Hordanes Land, and Vikingligr Veldi, Enslaved is overrated and not essential.
-Av Norron Aett is the best Norwegian black metal album.
-A Return to the Isle of Men is vastly underrated.
-Early Satyricon kicks ass, and I'm pissed I didn't check them out sooner.
-Blizzard Beasts is underrated, while Battles is overrated.
-Bergtatt isn't all that and a bag of chips.

That was fun. Stay tuned for the next episode of "Jeff is a Bum" featuring opinions on his Swedish metal collection.

And if any of you have some recommendations, feel free.

Uhm, Mayhem and Darkthrone? Though perhaps you hate them categorically, I can't recall :D

As for recomendations I'll once more say go for Koldbrann. A young band playing groovy yet raw black metal with drumming to die for; check it out yo

Bergtatt be my favorite, although I usually say Taake - Nattestid is the best just because Bergtatt is just as much folk/neo-folk/whatever that it is black metal, Jormundgand is fucking incredible, and Aeternus - ...and so the Night Became is awesomeness as well. Throw Empyrium - Songs of Moors and Misty Fields and Ulver - Nattens Madrigal into the mix and I'm pretty set concerning black metal. Oh and Enslaved - Below the Lights but I'm not sure how black metal that is considered.

Ah shit, you said Norwegian only. Whatever, most of the above mentioned crap is from said place. :dopey:

Cd-RS of ISA and Monumension for you NAD , I bet my dick you'll be fan . it RULES.

My 10 favourite Norwegian black metal releases - get all of these (though you probably have most of them already, judging by your post):

01. Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse/Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
02. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
03. Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
04. Gehenna - Seen Through The Veil Of Darkness (Second Spell)
05. Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia
06. Borknagar - Quintessence
07. Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon
08. Kvist - For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike
09. 1349 - Beyond The Apocalypse
10. Aeternus - And So The Night Became

Honorable mentions to Emperor's "Anthems..", Borknagar's "Empiricism", Darkthrone's "Ablaze In The Northern Sky" and "Transilvanian Hunger", Immortal's "Pure Holocaust", Tsjuder's "Desert Northern Hell", Dødheimsgard's "Monumental Possession", Dimmu Borgir's "Stormblåst" and Ulver's "Bergtatt".

haven't heard Keep of Kalessin or Darkthrone, and only heard a CD-r of DMDS. I plan on getting it some time soon though.

I like Bergtatt, but it just doesn't blow me away like it does the rest of you.

More people need to hear black metal Manes

hahaha, not based on the CD-r you gave me of ABitNS, but if I se the jewel case editions of those older albums, I will get them.

J. said:
More people need to hear black metal Manes
I listened to it once and it did nothing for me, tried to sell it and JayK scolded me so I kept it. I'll get to it again eventually.

I grew weary of it. It's a good album, but generally Manes is overrated. If nothing else, "...Blodraud..." is good to have to see where Xasthur got 100% of their inspiration from.

EDIT: (at Erik) You sound like my wife. Quit it.

here's my top 5 as of now:

Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme
Helheim - Av Norron Aett
Hades - TDOTDS
Manes - UEBM
Aeternus - BtWM

is no one familiar with In the Woods' black metal days?

how is Manes overrated? most people think Vilosophe was their debut. Hell, it's difficult to even find a review of UEBM

the only review I've seen of UEBM on any of the zines I visit regularly is anus.com, and the review was positive I think. it's hard to tell sometimes because I'm a dumbass and don't like looking up all those thesaurus words he uses.

Fine, I think it receives all the attention it deserves. Seen reviews and words of praise all around. I used to listen to it a lot, then grew tired.

is no one familiar with In the Woods' black metal days?
Yah, and they're not spectacular. "Tell de Döde" is cool, the most interesting part of the "Return..." CD is "HEart of the Ages" demo version though, much better than the album version. Generally ItW didn't really become really interesting until HEart-Omnio.