Helheim - Av Norron Aett

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
This has become one of my favorite black metal albums. Forget Jormundgand, Av Norron Aett is where it's at. This album, at times, reminds me of Min Tid Skal Komme, with the female vocals and sometimes different song patterns or sounds.

I know I've asked this before (but I'm too lazy to look up the answers, and sometimes opinions change), but are the Helheim albums after this one worth getting?

Also, what are some other bands in the Helheim vein? You know, bands that play viking black metal, but aren't of the lets-go-plunder-and-drink-mead type like Thyrfing, Moonsorrow, etc. I guess another one that would fit here would be early Enslaved. And where would Solstafir fit in all this?

Help? Bueller? Boobs?

Bueller? Bueller?

I think I like it a bit more that Jormundgand as well. It's a little bit more ambitious. There is also something very... unsettling about AVA, a certain mystique about it that I've never really come across in any other BM album. Maybe it's the production or something...

A shame, then. I know Erik has their newest platter and he didn't like it. I am curious about Blod & Ild, though.

And of course, some more viking metal bands along the early Helheim and early Enslaved lines would be nice. I guess early Hades and Nachtfalke would fit here.

J. said:
And of course, some more viking metal bands along the early Helheim and early Enslaved lines would be nice. I guess early Hades and Nachtfalke would fit here.
Then I will once more promote Kampfar. Forget about the Norse EP, it sucks. Go get "Mellom skogkledde aaser" which is brutal, majestic and very very good.
(I'm so eager to promote them I'll even send you a CDr if you're hesitant :p)

I might need to check out Blod & Ild, but it won't be priority.

The Norse EP wasn't horrible, but it certainly wasn't excellent. If the album from Kampfar is similar to the Mock material on the Mock/Tumulus split, then yes, I will get it, because that stuff is very good. Kampfar and Mock are the same people, right? Speaking of Mock, how is the EP, Vinterland, or something like that?

J. said:
The Norse EP wasn't horrible, but it certainly wasn't excellent. If the album from Kampfar is similar to the Mock material on the Mock/Tumulus split, then yes, I will get it, because that stuff is very good. Kampfar and Mock are the same people, right? Speaking of Mock, how is the EP, Vinterland, or something like that?
I think the major difference between material of Kampfar and Mock generally is improvement; the music is similar but more mature and more majestic.

The EP is ok, it has some decent riffs but the songs as wholes don't work very well, and the lyrics are horribly cheesy which for me is the major turn-off.

"Cold eternal winter! Cold eternal war!" and so forth

EDIT: I haven't heard the s/t EP for some reason *adds to list*

I think I'll stick to the two Kampfar full-lengths then, if I can find them. Red Stream has the self-titled EP for $7, but no one can guarantee me that it's worthy material, so I'll pass.

ANother band that semi-fits in ths category is Astrofaes. I was listening to one of their later albums last night, and it was very epic in a viking/pagan sort of way. Good stuff, that up until now, I pretty much ignored.

spaffe said:
Then I will once more promote Kampfar. Forget about the Norse EP, it sucks. Go get "Mellom skogkledde aaser" which is brutal, majestic and very very good.
Alright spaffe. I bought this on eBay. Hope it's good. :)

I also went ahead and ordered the self-titled EP from Red Stream. $7 is cheap.

JayKeeley said:
I have the Helheim demo, "Nidr ok Nordr liggr Helvegr". Excellent stuff.
Their best release if you ask me, and if Erik asks me I'll lie and say Jormundgand so he doesn't hit me with blunt objects or throws something in my face.