JEFF IS A BUM: Norwegian Black Metal - the lesser known bands plus opinions

yeah, HEart is definitely my favorite. the vox on ARTTIOM can become grating after a while.

I grew tired of Omnio because I had an extra copy at work and played it constantly.

Never really cared for 3X7 or SiS

is Soulside Journey really as good as the ANUS fanboys say or is it like another Beyond Sanctorum?

This is a good thread. From the stuff I've heard, I agree with (and I'm in a rush here so I'll drop in again later):

- Aeternus (I was surprised they didn't make it to the tournament, that means more people need to hear them, and Pagan Altar :p )
- Helheim & Manes
- Enslaved are overrated

Disagree:

- Bergtatt is very much all that and lots of chips with salt and vinegar, and ketchup
- I don't dig Hades all that much - maybe I'll give Dying Sun another listen

Oh and Einherher's "Dragons of the North" is brilliant.

A Blaze in the Northern Sky has some kind of special hold on me... musically, it's pretty straightforward, but everytime I listen to it I get these incredible feelings of awe and power!

THe death metal song was pretty good I guess, remnded me of The Chasm.

the black metal song was pretty good, too, but it ain't no Helheim. :D

J; Keep Of Kalessin is fantastic. Their latest mini album, "Reclaim", is one of the best releases to ever come out of Norway (quite impressive considering it's only got 5 songs and was released in 2003). I didn't add it to my top 10 list because it's not an album per se. "Reclaim" is almost like a more modern and non-viking (but more black-orientated) version of "Vikingligr Veldi". Beautiful melodies, incredible production, killer drumming by Frost, awesome vocals by ATILLA and ambience-like soundscapes are keywords when it comes to this release. GET IT!

Also, post your top 10 lists!

Black metal top whatever:

1. Ulver - Bergtatt
2. Taake - Nattestid
3. Empyrium - Songs of Moors and Misty Fields
4. Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
5. Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
6. Ulver - Nattens Madrigal
7. Aeternus - ...and so the Night Became
8. Helheim - Jormundgand
9. Enslaved - Below the Lights
10. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (did I spell that right?)

I'm pretty indifferent toward black metal, there's some I really really like (above 8), but for the most part even the stuff I recognize as quality stuff (Darkthrone, Burzum, Borknagar, shit even some Emperor) I just don't enjoy all that much.

EDIT: forgot Mayhem

EDIT again: forgot Drudkh and Dissection, thanks Dev.

Erik said:

Your opinions plz.

I must admit that the "Vikingligr Veldi" comparison was a bit far off, but I get exactly the same "emotional response" when listening to "Reclaim". It's something about the hypnotic elements of the music.. The almost ambience-like atmospheres.. And the wonderful melodies.

J: Atilla only took care of the vocal duties on "Reclaim", he's also doing some of the vocals on the upcoming album. The other KoK releases feature other vocalists.

Edit: I just uploaded Come Damnation. Check it out, everyone!

top 10 as of now, but keep in mind I want some Darkthrone classics, DMDS, and I'm just starting with Satyricon who I really like:

1. Helheim - Av Norron Aett
2. Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon
3. Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme
4. Hades - The Dawn of the Dying Sun
5. In the Woods... - HEart of the Ages
6. Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
7. Aeternus - And So the Night Became
8. Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
9. Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane
T-10. Ulver - Bergtatt/Immortal - Pure Holocaust

That's just the Norwegian stuff, but Satyricon could get into the top 10 and kick out Ulver/Immortal

Seeing as I really, really LOVE to make "top 10" lists (for some unknown reason), I guess I'll post mine as well. Nothing truly unknown or "cult", though. Along the classics is where my heart rests. :)

1. Immortal - Pure Holocaust
2. Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
3. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
4. Bathory - Blood Fire Death
5. Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
6. Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
7. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
8. Dimmu Borgir - Stormblåst
9. Burzum - Filosofem
10. Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

I have a lot of love for my new-found bands as well, such as Summoning, Nokturnal Mortum, Weltmacht, Deathspell Omega, Helheim, Hirilorn, Empyrium, Drudkh, Weakling and so on, but they'll never beat the true originals. Also, honoroble mentions goes to the following that almost made the list:

Satyricon - The Shadowthrone
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
Enslaved - Frost
Gorgoroth - Pentagram
Gorgoroth - Antichrist
Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid

TOP 10 whatever n°2:

10.Obtained Enslavement - Soulblight+Witchcraft
9.Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
8.Taake - Nattestid
7.Ulver - Nattens Madrigal
6.Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
5.Negura Bunget - N'Crugu Bradului
4.Lunar Aurora - Zyklus
3.Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
2.Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
1.Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane

Whoa, forgot Drudkh and Dissection. *corrected*
Doomcifer said:
Although, one of my most beloved albums of all-time, I do declare that it is not black metal. :dopey:
I didn't really think so but tossed it in anyhow because I'm not sure what to call it. Other than UNRULY of course. :kickass: