I'm bored, so here are some comments.....

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
....on discographies (or what I have from the band) I've been playing lately:

Enslaved
This band is quite simply amazing. I was initially disappointed with Below the Lights, but it has grown on me. It's still not close to their strongest. Eld is a beatiful album, and Vikingligr Veldi finally clicked with me (probably because my recent interest in black metal). Frost doesn't impress the way it once did. Mardraum and Blodhemn are still kinda on and off with me. Monumension rules.
1. Eld
2. Monumension
3. Vikingligr Veldi
4. Mardraum
5. Frost
6. Below the Lights
7. Blodhemn

Bathory
Twilight still rules them all. To Enter This Mountain, Blood and Iron, the title track, and Hammerheart (the song) just push this one above all the others. I've still yet to fully "get" Blood, Fire,Death, but I see its allure. Hammerheart is brilliant but starts boring me towards the end. The Nordlands, while good, don't stand near any of the others. Blood on Ice is better than I remember.
1. Twilight of the Gods
2. Blood on Ice
3. Hammerheart
4. Blood, Fire, Death
5. Nordland II
6. Nordland I

The Chasm
The death metal band of today. No gimmicks, no bullshit, just pure raging death metal. I love all their stuff, though some more than others of course.Their new one should be a real treat this year.
1. Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
2. Procession to the Infraworld
3. Procreation of the Inner Temple
4. Reaching the Veil of Death
5. From the Lost Years
6. Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph

Dark Tranquillity
This band is simply not as impressive as they once were. I still like 'em and have respect for them, though. I guess I need to keep in mind when a lot of this stuff was written to truly appreciate it. I still like the earlier stuff (barring Haven) the most. Damage Done was a huge disappointment for me.
1. The Gallery
2. Haven
3. Skydancer/Of Chaos and Eternal Night
4. Projector
5. The Mind's I
6. Enter Suicidal Angels
7. Damage Done

Edge of Sanity
Another band that has lost some of its appeal. Crimson II was a big disappointment. Surprisingly, I've been playing some of the earlier albums a lot more. I never was blown away by Crimson like most, and always found Purgatory Afterglow the better album.
1. Purgatory Afterglow
2. Unorthodox
3. Crimson
4. The Spectral Sorrows
5. Until Eternity Ends
6. Crimson II

Emperor
ItNE is better than I remember. Anthems still rules. Prometheus is worse than I remember. Equilibrium still sucks.
1. Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
2. In the Nightside Eclipse
3. Prometheus
4. Equilibrium

Eucharist
JayK is right. Velvet Creation is the better album. I really enjoy the two this band released. Highly recommended if want real melo-death.
1. A Velvet Creation
2. Mirrorworlds

Armageddon
All I have is Crossing the Rubicon, but like Eucharist, if you want it done right, buy this album.

Graveland
One of my favorite bands. I never tire of hearing this stuff. Epic, dark, moody, violent, and hateful.
1. Following the Voice of Blood
2. Immortal Pride
3. Creed of Iron
4. Thousand Swords
5. Raise Your Sword
6. The Fire of Awakening
7. The Celtic Winter
8. Raiders of Revenge (split w/ Honor)
9. Memory and Destiny
10. Carpathian Wolves
11. Blood of Heroes
12. Impaler's Wolves
13. Epilogue/In the Glare of Burning Churches

Hate Forest
Thanks to Erik and some others I've discovered this odd little black metal band. Some of their stuff is pure ambient, and some is weird black metal with death vocals. The only one I don't have is Purity, which is on the way from www.deathgasm.com
1. Battlefields
2. Scythia
3. The Most Ancient Ones
4. To Twilight Thickets
5. Blood and Fire/Ritual
6. The Gates

In Flames
I only have three CDs by them, and it's all I need. When I actually listen to the band, I lke it, but those times are few and far between.
1. Lunar Strain/Subterranean
2. Colony
3. The Jester Race

Lord Wind
Good folky ambient music for those into Empyrium and other Prophecy bands. Forgotten Songs has vocals and guitars, and is almost like a Graveland-lite album. The other two are pure folk ambient tunes that sound like battle hymns from Conan.
1. Forgotten Songs
2. Heralds of Fight
3. Rites of the Valkyries

Pandemonium
Somewhat of a guilty pleasure. I guess they'd be considered melo-death, but with heavy classical influences. Kinda like how Arcane Sun is doom with classical/prog tendencies. Pandemonium is the same but based in melo-death.
1. Insomnia
2. Twilght Symphony
3. ...To Apeiron

Primordial
Another of my favorites, and one of the finest examples of Pagan metal today. Moody and epic. Storm Before Calm is better than I remember.
1. Spirit the Earth Aflame
2. A Journey's End
3. Storm Before Calm
4. Imrama

Sigh
I started another thread about them. I had forgotten how great this band is/was. Even their black metal albums are golden. I'm not too keen on their latest, so hopefully they'll stray from the dreaded prog tendencies.
1. Ghastly Funeral Theater
2. Hail Horror Hail
3. Scenario IV: Dead Dreams
4. Infidel Art
5. Scorn Defeat
6. Imaginary Sonicscape

Woodtemple
A fine Pagan band with some Graveland-a-like sounds. The new one is one of my favorites of the year so far.
1. Feel the Anger of the Wind
2. The Call of the Pagan Woods

Thank you. :)

I am kinda bored in my work too so .. my words on what from the above interests me:
Enslaved : I prefer their "progressive" era .. "Below The Lights" is a masterpiece. But their epic monument "Eld" rules too
Bathory: While i like almost all their albums, i definetally prefer their EPIC/VIKING ones : Hammerheart, Twilight Of The Gods, Blood On Ice, and the two Nordlands. But their first 3 albums are fuckin amazing too.
Dark Tranquility : THE MINDS I . Nothing before, nothing after that. Their absolute MASTERPIECE.
Primordial: GREAT, EPIC and TRUE (in the pure essence of the word TRUE) "Dark Song" is one of my favourite songs ever. Very underrated band
Emperor : My fav. black metal band, Anthems is the best b.m. album ever bla bla bla
and
In Flames are gay. Die and perish in sickening vomit, shame of Sweden.

Damn, you are bored.

I've been listening to Public Enemy and Stereo MC's a lot lately, think I'm going to trade in my bullet belt for some gold chains, nigguh. That and I've been falling asleep to Carcass - Necroticism, and I wonder why I've had bizarre dreams lately.

J. said:
The Chasm
The death metal band of today. No gimmicks, no bullshit, just pure raging death metal. I love all their stuff, though some more than others of course.Their new one should be a real treat this year.
1. Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
2. Procession to the Infraworld
3. Procreation of the Inner Temple
4. Reaching the Veil of Death
5. From the Lost Years
6. Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph

If you enjoy The Chasm defiantly check out Serpens Aeons, a band formed by The Chasm's two previous members.

You can find them on Moribund Records.

I just remembered I only ever listened to Twilight Of The Gods once...and that must've been nearly two and a half years ago. I'll dig it out next FF7 mish I have! :D

Which of the Hate Forest releases are ambient? My interest is suddenly piqued. I still dig Hlidskjalf by Burzum and am still scrounging money for a copy of Daudi Baldurs :loco:

My Enslaved/Emperor lists would probably be something like this:

-Enslaved-

1. Vikingligr Veldi
2. Eld
3. Frost
4. Hordanes Land
5. Yggdrasill (demo)
6. Mardraum
7. Blodhemn
8. Below The Lights
9. Monumension

-Emperor-

1. In The Nightside Eclipse
2. Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
3. IX Equilibrium
4. Prometheus
5. Wrath Of The Tyrant (hard to hear the actual music due to the production)

Hmmm... I think I'll have a shot at this...

My Dying Bride

A band whose appeal for me has altered, but never really diminished. I used to totally mourn the loss of Martin Powell as a crushing blow for the band, but after listening to The Dreadful Hours a lot more recently, I've come to the conclusion that this necessitated increased focus on the guitars, and as such caused tracks like 'The Raven And The Rose' to absolutely kill. The Angel And The Dark River's total lack of growled vocals, too, was a bit of a let-down for me at first, but that album completely grew on me because of the unparralleled mournful atmosphere throughout. 'Turn Loose The Swans' still kills 'em all, though...

1. Turn Loose The Swans
2. The Angel And The Dark River
3. The Dreadful Hours
4. For Darkest Eyes DVD
5. Trinity

Opeth

Okay, I admit it, I'm something of an Opeth fanboy. But not to the extent that the people on the official Opeth forums are! Blackwater Park was the first Opeth album I got (yeah, I know, I started late), so that probably explains why it has a special place in my collection. Deliverance, while arguably showing Opeth failing to expand their remit in any particular way, still boasts a cracking collection of songs that I think any other band would have been incapable of writing. Damnation is still an interesting record, if you're in the right mood for it. My Arms, Your Hearse is unusually brutal for an Opeth record, and is probably my second most-played after BP. Still Life, I find strangely long-winded and dull. I don't know quite what it is, but something about that record doesn't ring true for me.

1. Blackwater Park
2. My Arms, Your Hearse
3. Deliverance
4. Damnation
5. Still Life

Anaal Nathrakh

The Codex Necro was a fucking shock to the system when it was first released - an instant antidote to the melodic, symphonic, keyboard-saturated kiddie-centric black metal that had suddenly started dominating the scene. It still possesses a particular visceral power now, surpassed only by the demos, collected together with an unreleased track and a couple of Mayhem covers on 'Total Fucking Necro'. The raw, underproduced quality of the demos gave TCN tracks like 'The Supreme Necrotic Audnence' even more of a malevolent air than before. 'When Fire Rains Down From The Sky... Mankind Shall Reap As It Has Sown' was an improvement in terms of songwriting and production, but a disappointment in terms of atmosphere. It was still a flagrant middle-finger to the more 'fashionable' aspects of black metal, and the guest appearances from Attila Csihar added necro bonus points, but for some reason it doesn't have the same breathtaking effect on me the TCN had.

1. Total Fucking Necro
2. The Codex Necro
3. When Fire Rains Down From The Sky...

I'm not bored, and truth be known, I don't think I've ever worked this hard in my life. Make of that what you will. :loco:

Still, always time to comment on a Dreamlord post - what a wanker. :D

Enslaved: I love Vikingligr Veldi and Below the Lights. I have Frost and it's just not as good as the others IMO. Some of their finest work is on Hordanes Land split with Emperor (although Emperor sound like dogshit on that one).

Bathory: Twilight vocals still kill me. So sue me, but really, it grates after a while, otherwise the music is near-perfect. Overall, that is why I accept Hammerheard to be my fave just because I like the epic music. Blood Fire Death is a thrash fest from hell which I really like, but it doesn't reach my soul quite like Hammerheart.

The Chasm: I dunno...straight forward DM bores me truth be known.

Dark Tranquility: The Gallery is great but I haven't listened to it in about a year. I got rid of the one with clean vox (Projector? :ill: ). I have Damage Done - it serves a purpose, but I could live without it since melo-death has become a plague.

Edge of Sanity: I only have PA, Crimson I & II. PA is excellent, as is Crimson (wow!), but Crimson II just bored the hell out of me. It was about as worthy a sequel as Matrix Reloaded.

Emperor: ItNE is the best. black. metal. album. ever. x. infinity. +. 1.

Eucharist: Class band. Daniel Erlandsson at his absolute best. Seriously class, through and through. Glad they split before they dissolved into melo-pop-death sewage.

Armageddon: I have III. It sounds like weak rock music with fancy guitar. If I want this, I'll listen to Guns 'n' figgin' Roses since Slash >>>> Ammott Jnr.

Graveland: Immortal Pride is great, I can live without Thousand Swords or Raise your Sword, but truth be known, if I listened to them today, I'd probably appreciate them a lot more so I'm hanging on to that nazi fucker for a while.

Hate Forest: So I got Battlefields, and I think it's OK. Nothing spectacular. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead. Drudkh >>>>>> Hate Forest.

In Flames: I'm down to Lunar Strain / Subterranean. Excellent, excellent album. Don't get beyond Jester Race anymore, and to my dying day, I don't see THAT much of a difference between Colony and Clayman. :loco:

Lord Wind: Sounds interesting, but the comparison to Empyrium is bold. Bear in mind, early Empyrium sounds more like early Opeth with much more folk and classical feel. Songs of Moors>>>>>>>anything I can think of right now.

Pandemonium: Never 'eard of 'em.

Primordial: I have Spirit the Earth Aflame, and I never really took to it, but I did hold on to the album knowing that I need to give it a few more spins. I mean, my life is hectic, I've not even listened to my fucking Neurosis CD yet.

Sigh: I just love everything they've done. I own all their releases and treasure each one with a smile. :)

Woodtemple: I have Feel the Anger (I think?). I burned a copy for Erik, maybe he can remind me...anyway, it's not bad. Not sure if it's the best on No Colors, but it's ok. Kinda like Burzum-lite.

Anyhoo...

I still need to hear Anaal Nathrakh.

@Ayeka - The Gates is entirely ambient and forest sounds. Half of Blood and Fire/Ritual is ambient. Some of To Twilight Thickets is ambient. I'd definitely read a lot of reviews before purchasing any Hate Forest, because you might never know what you'll get.

I'll do a couple of those too..

Dimmu Borgir

I still have a weak spot for Dimmu, some years after the "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant" record got me into extreme metal together with Satyricon's "Dark Medieval Times" and Aeternus' ".. And So The Night Became". Although having moved quite far away from their former black metal selves, I have to admit that I still enjoy what they release. (Probably going to get flamed for this :p )

1. Stormblåst
2. Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
3. Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
4. For All Tid
5. Death Cult Armageddon
6. Godless Savage Garden
7. Spiritual Black Dimensions

Cryptopsy

Their two first albums are in my opinion milestones in death metal. Technical, but still groovy as feck, featuring Flo Mournier's incredible, jaw-dropping drumming and Lord Worm's sick, beautiful growls. They went downhill from there, though. I sometimes find, when listening to their two latest studio efforts, that they too often are technical for the sake of technicality. In addition to that, I hate Mike DiSalvio's vocals with a passion. Here's hoping they'll focus more on good riffs and groove than über-technicality on their next album, featuring the legendary Lord Worm.

1. Blasphemy Made Flesh (Not a single filler song. Mandatory!)
2. None So Vile
3. None So Live
4. And Then You'll Beg
5. Whisper Supremacy

Erik said:
I mean I spend most of my day on these boards but not even I am bored enough to do lists like these.
That's because you don't have a job you dirty Swede. And what the fuck did Sven Erikkson tell the English lads at half time during the France game? Absolutely diabolical performance. (Yes, I blame the manager), :D

I can't decide my favorite Edge of Sanity, I have The Spectral Sorrows, Crimson, and Purgatory Afterglow. Also Crimson II, but no way is that my favorite.

The only Opeth I listen to anymore is Deliverance, I used to think they all had something unique to offer, but now I'm bored with all but that one.

Dark Tranquility and Eucharist everyone that hates melodic death still likes these bands, but I'm simply not interested in either one. Never heard any Eucharist, and unless someone passes me a free CD-R, I probably won't. Kiss > melodic death. Okay no, not quite. :loco:

NAD said:
Dark Tranquility and Eucharist everyone that hates melodic death still likes these bands, but I'm simply not interested in either one. Never heard any Eucharist, and unless someone passes me a free CD-R, I probably won't. Kiss > melodic death. Okay no, not quite. :loco:
DT is melo-death.

If you listened to Velvet Creation, you wouldn't even recognize it as melo-death. They transcend that genre. A CD-R will be on it's way to you soon you dirty gook.

Oh okay. Cool, thanks.

I think I've been called every unfitting racial slur in the book around here. :tickled:

JayKeeley said:
Enslaved: I love Vikingligr Veldi and Below the Lights. I have Frost and it's just not as good as the others IMO. Some of their finest work is on Hordanes Land split with Emperor (although Emperor sound like dogshit on that one).
I still need to get that split, but it's not priority right now.

Bathory: Twilight vocals still kill me. So sue me, but really, it grates after a while, otherwise the music is near-perfect. Overall, that is why I accept Hammerheard to be my fave just because I like the epic music. Blood Fire Death is a thrash fest from hell which I really like, but it doesn't reach my soul quite like Hammerheart.
Quorthon's vocals don't bother me anymore at all. I really can't see anyone else singing on Bathory albums. It just wouldn't work. But I know whatcha mean.

The Chasm: I dunno...straight forward DM bores me truth be known.
I come back to straight forward death more often than the stuff with twists or whatever. It's just nice to hear it done properly and old school style.

Dark Tranquility: The Gallery is great but I haven't listened to it in about a year. I got rid of the one with clean vox (Projector? :ill: ). I have Damage Done - it serves a purpose, but I could live without it since melo-death has become a plague.
Damage Done was a turd for me. They sounded bored on that one. I agree about Projector. I like 4 songs on it. Stanne's clean vocals reminded me too much of Depeche Mode. I still don't understand why people don't like aven. It's among their best.

Edge of Sanity: I only have PA, Crimson I & II. PA is excellent, as is Crimson (wow!), but Crimson II just bored the hell out of me. It was about as worthy a sequel as Matrix Reloaded.
Yeah, Crimson II was crap. Unorthodox is really good if you have some bucks to spend, but you ight like Spectral Sorrows more.

Emperor: ItNE is the best. black. metal. album. ever. x. infinity. + 1.
I like it, but their are tons of other black metal albums I prefer to listen to before that one. Anthems being one of them.

Graveland: Immortal Pride is great, I can live without Thousand Swords or Raise your Sword, but truth be known, if I listened to them today, I'd probably appreciate them a lot more so I'm hanging on to that nazi fucker for a while.
Raise Your Sword rules. The first song on that EP is great. It took me a while to appreciate Graveland, so....

Hate Forest: So I got Battlefields, and I think it's OK. Nothing spectacular. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead. Drudkh >>>>>> Hate Forest.
This really depends on my mood. I've been playing HF a lot more than Drudkh recently. Both will probably be near the top of my year end list though.

Lord Wind: Sounds interesting, but the comparison to Empyrium is bold. Bear in mind, early Empyrium sounds more like early Opeth with much more folk and classical feel. Songs of Moors>>>>>>>anything I can think of right now.
OK. Still some of you battle hymn freaks will enjoy this. It's good background music, or video game music, reading music, plundering music.

All the melo-death bands I listened to were purely a curiosity listen. I wanted to see what I would think of them now. Probably some time this week, I'll pull out At the Gates, Amon Amarth, Dissection, and Dawn.

Most of the othrs are on a regular rotation.

I have four Opeth albums, and I can't remember the last time I pulled those out of the case. Perhaps I'll give 'em a go, and write down my comments.

dill_the_devil said:
My Dying Bride

A band whose appeal for me has altered, but never really diminished.
The new MDB is surprsingly really good. It's like a Charles Dickens doom album. :D

Opeth

Okay, I admit it, I'm something of an Opeth fanboy.
Fag. :loco:

OK but with all honesty, Morningrise is what probably saved the 90's from total heavy metal failure.

J. said:
@Ayeka - The Gates is entirely ambient and forest sounds. Half of Blood and Fire/Ritual is ambient. Some of To Twilight Thickets is ambient. I'd definitely read a lot of reviews before purchasing any Hate Forest, because you might never know what you'll get.
Cheers for that :) I checked out some reviews, The Gates sounds quite interesting :) so I made a mental note already!

EMPEROR:
1. Anthems
2. Equilibrium
3. Nightside
4. Prometheus

SUMMONING:
1) Lugburz
2) Nightshade Forests
3) Dol Guldur
4) Minas Morgul
5) Stronghold

BURZUM: