Vikingligr Veldi

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
I'm going through a bit of an enslaved phase at the moment. I've been listening to their albums a lot for a while now. I bought monumension a little while ago, and was blown away.

But a few days ago, I had my first listen to their first album, Vikingligr Veldi.

And WHAT THE HELL? This album might even be better than Eld.

I thought it might be a short little 5 song Black Metal romp. But it's an epic master peice on the scale of the likes of Morningrise, and In The Woods Omnio. I was just shocked, and reviews I've read didn't seem to reflect this, so I was pleasantly surprised. Who else enjoys this album?

LOOK!!!!

vikings.jpg

They soooo cute...

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
But it's an epic master peice on the scale of the likes of Morningrise, and In The Woods Omnio. I was just shocked, and reviews I've read didn't seem to reflect this, so I was pleasantly surprised. Who else enjoys this album?

I enjoy this album :hotjump:
I dare to say that it has become my favourite enslaved....
and i fully agree with the statement above...

I love it's monotonous ancient atmosphere :)
and Trym's drumming...

I want to have Trym's manbabies.

He's easily my fav drummer.

His work on Frost is mindblowing.

Did he leave after Frost, or after Eld? Can't remember.

I still have trouble absorbing Frost and Blodhemn, those albums are thick walls of noise and brutality, difficult to listen to, but I know I'll love them.

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan

I still have trouble absorbing Frost and Blodhemn, those albums are thick walls of noise and brutality, difficult to listen to, but I know I'll love them.

I bought Blodhemn a couple of days ago and love it. It's definitely hard to get into, in that it's pretty complicated and takes a fair few listens. So far it's going pretty well. I'll have to look into some of their other work. I hear the new one is kind of Industrial or experimental or something which doesn't sound all that fantastic.

I love Trym too Kush. Especially after the Empty video when he twiddles his sticks (you know what I mean :rolleyes: ) during a pause.

Originally posted by requiem

I bought Blodhemn a couple of days ago and love it. It's definitely hard to get into, in that it's pretty complicated and takes a fair few listens. So far it's going pretty well. I'll have to look into some of their other work. I hear the new one is kind of Industrial or experimental or something which doesn't sound all that fantastic.

I love Trym too Kush. Especially after the Empty video when he twiddles his sticks (you know what I mean :rolleyes: ) during a pause.

Trym is the absolute star of that film clip. I love the blast beat part near the end of the song, it shows him, tapping the highhat, and then he goes nuts, drumming so fast, that I can't see his hands, and then the view changes to ihsahn playing a rather complex riff, and you can see trym's head bobbing up and down in the background, it looks awsome. And of course, you barely see Samoth, he soughta fades in and out of the light. It's one of the best metal clips I've seen.

Monumension most definately is not industrial. It's very different though, and has a lot of 70's prog influences, and hammond organ, and some 70's snare drumming which sounds real cool, on the 4th track, hollow. But the album retains the heavyness, and some very perculiar song structures, some great guitar effects. The only keyboards in the album is the Hammond organ. It's not really black metal any more, but it is still enslaved, and I love the direction they are heading. I recommend this album. And I'll keep trying with Blodhemn and Frost.

Monumension is definately experimental, but not industrial at all.

All their albums are different, and none of them are weak, and Blodhemn is the one I like least, so it can only get better for you. =)