\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Enslaved - Isa
Tabu - TABU007 - 08/11/04
By Patrick Walsh

enslavedisa.jpg

And so the plaudits for Enslaved shall continue to grow, for with Isa this band of Norwegians have not only improved immeasurably over 2003's Below The Lights, but have created what is arguably a career best. Perhaps their overt Viking tendencies are taking a back seat these days, but when it results in such gems as can be found all over this album, was it ever going to be a cause for concern?

After the brief intro comes 'Lunar Force', kicking things off in a similar fashion to 'As Fire Swept Clean The Earth' before it. Enslaved always have this knack of giving the listener a kick in the face to begin with, and 'Lunar Force' does just this, driving forward with it's sweeping bridge riff before winding down into all kinds of progged-up shenanigans, only to blast off again in all its fury. The title track features a guest appearance by Darkthrone's Nocturno Culto, whose ever reliably spiteful rasp is juxtaposed between Grutle's clean vocal spurts in the mother of all epic song-endings. Indeed Grutle sounds more confident than ever before as a frontman, and when he sings he exudes a kind of laid back feeling which could be most likened to one Mr. Akerfeldt in his band's early days.

It all works wonderfully however, and Isa is simply chock full of heart stopping moments of sheer power. Witness the amazing solo build up of 'Bounded By Allegience', or the delicate beauty of Grutle's vocals as he almost seems to mantra i'll wait for you here on 'Violent Dawning'. 'Reogenesis' meanwhile closes things in the most epic fashion as ever seen from this band, imagine the Pink Floyd-esque ending to 'A Darker Place' brought to new heights of grace for an idea of the magnitude contained herein.

I could harp on ad nauseum about the merits of each and every moment on this cd, but to do so is to attempt to unravel a work that needs to be experienced as a whole rather than in bits and pieces, and it is for this reason that Isa tops its predecessor. It is a cohesive whole, and forges a mood of delicate malevolence that is maintained throughout, thus for this reason you simply must experience it as such. A late but truly worthy highlight of 2004.

9/10

Enslaved's Official Website
Tabu Records' Official Website

I recieved the album last week and i listened to it pretty quick. But all I can say now is that it was okey. Maybe ISA need some time?

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
maybe you need new ears? :p

Just got it, the packaging is great. Really nice slipcase art.

Haha, maybe. I go listen to the record once again then. Maybe my opinion will change.

had no idea about this until i went into my local 'hellraiser' shop to say hello to my mates in there, and i only spotted it as i was leaving!! didn't even know they had another one on the cards..

it's fucking ACE!!!
enslaved still remain the best BM band on the planet.. never know what to expect with them aside from pure quality..

I have Eld, Mardraum, Monumension and Below the Lights... I'm sorry to say but for the progressive-minded fan ISA is a huge disappointment... of coure the black metal community will tell u it's great - and sure, it is good black metal by today's standard... but it's just plain, boring and repetitive (compared to the earlier albums mentioned)... the only slightly interesting song is Reogenesis and that's mostly due to the beautiful guitar solos.

repetitive is what enslaved do though, they've done it right from the very start, in fact a hell of a lot more than they do.. 'slaget i skogen bortenfor' (spelling? doing it from memory!) from the split with emperor is about 12 minutes long and about 5 riffs!! but they have such incredible genius with dynamics and song construction that they make it work.. and still they rule the game i think.