Enthusiastic Metallica new album previews

For what i have listened (on youtube)... i think is more of the same, nothing really new, altought it got "some" elements of the 80's, it's,indeed, really Load stuff... it could be exciting a little bit (u know, the wait)... with metallica it happens to me something pretty weird, i can listen to the post AJFA, and find some of their stuff pretty enjoyable, altought nothing impressive.. but when you think about them in terms of their "history"... the first 3 records were a constant progression and search for a new sound... until AJFA they were "innotaving" and "progressing" in their sound... just after AJFA, they just simply change of "genre"... to be able to become more mainstream than they were... so its like talking about two different groups...

Couldn't care how many strings he plays with.. Metallica are not my cup of tea anymore.. And i really doubt this will change my mind if it's aiming to sound like their 80s stuff.

.. Progression, not regression guys.

Couldn't care how many strings he plays with.. Metallica are not my cup of tea anymore.. And i really doubt this will change my mind if it's aiming to sound like their 80s stuff.

.. Progression, not regression guys.

Absolutely true. It just sounds like desperation from reading that article. I'm not the first to say this and I'm sure I won't be the last but, it's time to give up. Actually they should've given up about 7/8 years ago.

Well, I think the hope is less that they return to an older sound but return to not sucking. The former is certainly not progress, but the latter is. I'm holding out hope.

Once a band changes sound, it's really improbable that they come back to their roots. If Metallica were to do this... I don't even think it will be a commercial success, since the last albums sold more. Anyway, I'm just guessing since I haven't checked any statistic

Once a band changes sound, it's really improbable that they come back to their roots. If Metallica were to do this... I don't even think it will be a commercial success, since the last albums sold more. Anyway, I'm just guessing since I haven't checked any statistic

Please supply evidence for this argument. I'm trying to think up ways to debunk it right now...

One of the blabbermouth commenters gives a good point - didn't St. Anger have some critical success before it was released and hailed as their worst ever?

Didn't they say that St. Anger was going to be like ...And Justice? HAHA what a crock. No thanks, I was through with them after Enter Sandman hit the radio. They're washed up as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: Illidan's quick!

Well, I don't think regression is the word so much as vibe. Rick Rubin wanted that hungry, urgent vibe of Master of Puppets. And 8 or 9 minute songs kind of lend themselves well to not being radio friendly (which is a good thing). We'll see, I was the first one out of their camp back when the Black album hit.

One of the blabbermouth commenters gives a good point - didn't St. Anger have some critical success before it was released and hailed as their worst ever?

Yes. I distinctly remember pre-release reviews describing it as "mind-blowingly heavy" and "like Slayer" and all kinds of hyperbolic bullshit about how it was so RAW and AWESOME. The only thing they said that proved what they listened to was the same album were lyrical extracts and talking about how "the drumming sounds like a steel keg" only they described it more as "the drumming is so incredibly extreme that it sounds like he's banging on a steel fucking keg made of METAL!!!!" Thus, this article really doesn't mean much, if anything, to me even though I'm very interested in the outcome of the album.

As a side note, a lot of the POST release reviews of St Anger were very positive. I remember a lot of them in mainstream magazines praising the rawness and the "experimentation" in the vocals etc.