Epica - Design Your Universe

Iced Dog

The Stormrider's Pooch
Sep 29, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
www.facebook.com
Heavy and majestic, just how I like my Epica :) The last two albums feature a new drummer and guitarist, both from death metal band God Dethroned, so it's no coincidence that these have been Epica's heaviest efforts. Great stuff...

Resign To Surrender is my fave atm...the grunting verses are so rhythmic and fierce, nice choral punctuation, Simone's parts are sweet, good solo, and a cool ending.
Unleashed is a great single, has a cool vibe to the verse, and nice lilting middle section.
Martyr Of The Free Word, another great track, LOVE that Gregorian chant matched with the chugging riff...wished that part was longer.
Our Destiny, starts out a bit slow, but the second half of the song really soars and takes flight, good stuff.
Kingdom Of Heaven, what can I really say, a beast of a track, so dynamic, brutal, and beautiful. We get a second dose of monk greatness, Tibetan this time, a stroke of genius, short as it is. I love the heavy death-influenced riffs, time changes, and general craziness going on, certainly never gets boring and it is not chaotic either. Simone's "chorus" is very catchy. The slow section starts out with a great mystical vocal layering, and 9:00-9:30 reminds me a lot of Opeth, very cool. This track alone needs several listens to truly absorb and appreciate...just oozes epic.
Burn To A Cinder, I love Simone's eastern-tinged vocal melodies, just outstanding.
Tides Of Time gets better each time I hear it...a sweeping ballad with endearing vocal lines and a nice buildup.
Deconstruct, a pretty good mid-paced track with good vocal trade-offs between Mark and Simone.
Semblance Of Liberty, a thrashing number is that dark & heavy, one of my faves. I dig the staccato-esque verse riffage. There is also the "read my lips" soundbyte from George Bush Sr...interesting, reminds me a bit of Tony Blair's excerpt from Facade Of Reality on the debut.
White Waters, probably my least fave, but still a solid track...good use of atmosphere, and Tony Kakko does a nice job.
Design Your Universe, a cool track, but for a song of that length, I feel it could use some more dynamics, but maybe it's just me comparing it to KoH, probably not fair ;) The use of acoustics in the intro and verses is well-placed.
Incentive, badass bonus track, brutal and unforgiving, ends the album with a nice punch to the face :D

these guys are good personal friends of mine. Awesome people, really cool new album (imo the best until now)!

Big Epica fan here -- but I have to say that I'm not getting the vibes from this disc that I got from The Divine Conspiracy. After many passes through this disc, I find that the 2nd half (maybe from track 7 on) is much better than the 1st half, which seems to start off very slowly for me.

The writing on the disc is top notch -- and the addition of the new guitarist is obvious - although I hear lots more guitar solos from Epica that I haven't heard before ? (What happened to the old guitarist - he was cool ?)

I need to dissect the disc a lot more, its a long one and takes many listens to grasp onto, but they have kicked everything up for sure in every dept, including Simone's vocals, who just keeps getting better and better with each release.

Maybe there is just a slight lack of melodies on the 1st half than the 2nd for me, is all I can think of. Its like they started off with shades of Phantom Agony and then kicked in with Divine Conspiracy to the 5th power for the 2nd half - thats the only way I think I can describe the feeling. Definitely a winner, I just wish that the whole disc kicked my ass and not just part of it.

I'm a big fan of Simones vocals, loved her recent appearances on Kamelot, Primal Fear and Areyon discs. I love Epica's heaviness and really enjoyed seeing them at ProgPower, but I'm just not a big fan of the grunts & growls. How may songs on the new album feature clean vocals opposed to grunts?

Big Epica fan here -- but I have to say that I'm not getting the vibes from this disc that I got from The Divine Conspiracy. After many passes through this disc, I find that the 2nd half (maybe from track 7 on) is much better than the 1st half, which seems to start off very slowly for me.

The writing on the disc is top notch -- and the addition of the new guitarist is obvious - although I hear lots more guitar solos from Epica that I haven't heard before ? (What happened to the old guitarist - he was cool ?)

I need to dissect the disc a lot more, its a long one and takes many listens to grasp onto, but they have kicked everything up for sure in every dept, including Simone's vocals, who just keeps getting better and better with each release.

Maybe there is just a slight lack of melodies on the 1st half than the 2nd for me, is all I can think of. Its like they started off with shades of Phantom Agony and then kicked in with Divine Conspiracy to the 5th power for the 2nd half - thats the only way I think I can describe the feeling. Definitely a winner, I just wish that the whole disc kicked my ass and not just part of it.

I actually felt similarly.. although, after many repeat listens, it has grown on me and I'm loving it more and more.. except the Tony Kakko song.. that one is just "ok"..
The songs have so much to them that it takes a while to truly have them sink in as a whole

I'm a big fan of Simones vocals, loved her recent appearances on Kamelot, Primal Fear and Areyon discs. I love Epica's heaviness and really enjoyed seeing them at ProgPower, but I'm just not a big fan of the grunts & growls. How may songs on the new album feature clean vocals opposed to grunts?

This was my problem with the last Epica album. They should have called it "The Mark Jansen Show" instead of "The Divine Conspiracy" because Mark's vocals overpowered everything else, and Simone's vocals seemed like an afterthought.

If the new album has less Mark and more Simone, I'll check it out.

Definitely need to hear this, as they're one of my favorite bands. As God Dethroned are also a favorite, I loved hearing Arien on The Divine Conspiracy, so I'm looking forward to hearing Arien AND Isaac on this one. Can't wait for January!

If the new album has less Mark and more Simone, I'll check it out.
Then I'll save you the trouble right now, it probably has more growls than TDC :D But I really like Mark's growls and am glad they're sharing the vocal duties more evenly, as opposed to mostly Simone on the first two albums, particularly Consign To Oblivion where only 3 tracks included Mark, and those were by far the best IMO.

This thread is sorely lacking a photo of Simone... Fixed :OMG:

Simone_Simmons.jpg
[/IMG]

I like the new album well enough, but it's not as memorable to me as the last one was. Simone's vocals have continued to improve - on the first two albums, she put on a thick, forced operatic tone because she wanted to sound like Tarja Turunen, but on the last two albums she's loosened up and found her own voice. The music is ok, but it's not as catchy or memorable as The Divine Conspiracy. I am looking forward to seeing them on tour again, though.

... but I'm just not a big fan of the grunts & growls. How many songs on the new album feature clean vocals opposed to grunts?

Too many. :lol:

Then I'll save you the trouble right now, it probably has more growls than TDC :D But I really like Mark's growls and am glad they're sharing the vocal duties more evenly, as opposed to mostly Simone on the first two albums, particularly Consign To Oblivion where only 3 tracks included Mark, and those were by far the best IMO.

I agree, I like his growls as well. Personally, I think the genre is getting too far off track (look at recent Tristania and Sirenia albums compared to their older albums). I like having BOTH on the album, not just one line featuring harsh vocals (first single from 13th floor for example has one growling line (and the promotion version cuts that part out!!! WTF)). So yeah, I like how Epica has started using more growls in their albums. :headbang: