Epiphone steps up the competition

slashvanyoung

Dopefish lives!
Jul 18, 2006
Germany
Has anyone checked out the new Prophecy line by Epiphone? I know, I know, they don't have the best reputation around, but do yourself a favor and have a look at the specs of these new babies and then have a look at the price! :OMG:

For example, take the Prophecy Les Paul Custom EX: mahagony body, quilted maple top, mahagony neck (slim d profile), ebony fingerboard, 24 (!) jumbo frets, EMG 81 and 85 (or Gibson Dirty Fingers on the other version), grover tuners etc..... all and all for about 700$ or less than 500€ (Thomann).

204243.jpg

Tell me what you think!

Looks pretty cool, but 24 frets with a cutaway that shallow is laughably pointless (trust me, I own a 24-fret ESP Eclipse). It looks spec'ed out well enough in terms of the EMG's and Quilt-top, but my complaints with Epiphone have always been with the general quality control, specifically in the finishes and frets, so the only way I could find that out is by playing one...

Looks pretty cool, but 24 frets with a cutaway that shallow is laughably pointless (trust me, I own a 24-fret ESP Eclipse). It looks spec'ed out well enough in terms of the EMG's and Quilt-top, but my complaints with Epiphone have always been with the general quality control, specifically in the finishes and frets, so the only way I could find that out is by playing one...

I was thinking exactly the same (about the 24 frets and the quality control). I guess I'll try to find a dealer this week or next to give them a shot.

The Epi Les Paul standards I've played varied heavily from totally unplayable to ok-instrument. The customs I tried, however, have all been quite nice.

I'm seriously gas-ing for a nice Les Paul right now and I was thinking about importing me the top-of-the-line Agile Les Paul from rondomusic.com, but these fuckers caught my attention because the specs are so similar and it would be MUCH less of a hazzle to get one.

I love ebony fretboards. I don't understand why they're not as common like rosewood?
I wish they made some other up to these specs but without a quilt or flame top. I just don't dig that shit. I like the bolt inlays, mega sweet.

Ebony isn't as common as rosewood because it is more expensive and a lot harder to work with.

If you can, try and find an older Epiphone Masterbuilt Les Paul. Holy crap were those guitars nice! Made in Japan and better than any Gibson I'd played (including both of mine!). Not sure what they go for used, but they were only $1200 new. So I imagine around $600, maybe?

So, I've ordered one of those fuckers. Just had to check out if the deal is as good as it seems to be.

@ConspiracyBass: I think the problem with the Masterbuilt and Elitist series is that many people are going straight for a Gibson in that price range, although some of them are really great.

Those Carvins look very PRS-ish. Undoubtedly great guitars but the look is not exactly my style. Carvins are very unusual around here. In fact, I don't know anybody who's got one.

I just ordered one last week! Purple stain over the quilted top, black hardware and no inlays, with stainless steel jumbo frets. I should have pix up by the end of April.

@ConspiracyBass: I think the problem with the Masterbuilt and Elitist series is that many people are going straight for a Gibson in that price range, although some of them are really great.

Ehh, at the time Les Paul Standards were still around $2000.

You could get a Studio for about the same price, but man, those Epiphones were head and shoulders above any Studio. Plus, I believe they were in colors you couldn't get any Gibson in. I could be totally wrong about that though.

I was referring to the Elitists. The Tak Matsumoto Les Paul is about the same as a Les Paul Standard... at least here. From the Masterbuilt series are only acoustics still available, but I think you are right, I'm also pretty sure that there were Masterbuilts and Elitists that weren't equivalent to any Gibson.

The Epi should arrive tomorrow. I'll try to post some pics and impressions. If that thingy fails to impress me, I'll return it.

Sorry, those older Epi's were the Elite Series (The shop I went to always referred to em as Masterbuilts). But something happened because I remember all the online stores having blow out sales of the old Elites. And shit, until I looked it up I didn't even know they still had guitars coming out of Japan as the Elitist Series. Oh well!

Apparently I suck at taking pictures, but here are some impressions:

PICT0554.jpg

PICT0555.jpg

PICT0556.jpg

PICT0557.jpg

PICT0561.jpg

PICT0560.jpg

PICT0559.jpg

PICT0558.jpg

PICT0562.jpg

It's crazy, it's an Epi, it comes from china but I yet I just can't take it out of my hands!

It's built very well, setup/action needed little to none adjustment, stays in tune perfectly, resonates like a dream and good god, that ebony fretboard plays like a dream!

And you were perfectly right about the additional 2 frets, they're about as useful as a fridge in Alaska. :lol:

That's why I don't like Les Pauls very much and I've always been more of a super strat guy. At least ESP/LTD/Edwards gives you better access to the upper frets with the Eclipse.

Mind you, I do actually own an Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul... and it is cool for what it is... but I hardly ever play it. :loco: