Epoxy for filling a guitar nut?

Eschatologist

Jun 15, 2008
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Hey guys, I have a guitar that has a nut filed down on the low E string so it could fit a bigger gauge for low tunings. Now I wanna put it back to standard with a .046 for the lowest and I am getting some buzz from it sitting too low. Any suggestions for a hard epoxy or something to fill it? Thanks!

Personally me, I would replace the nut rather than attempting to patch it with epoxy. A new black TUSQ XL nut is only like $15.00 at most and is not that hard a repair as far as guitar repairs go.

Nut replacement instructions

Personally me, I would replace the nut rather than attempting to patch it with epoxy. A new black TUSQ XL nut is only like $15.00 at most and is not that hard a repair as far as guitar repairs go.

Nut replacement instructions

Yeah, I agree. Just don't use too much glue when you are attaching the new nut. Makes it easier to replace later if needed. You can use some old strings to file the slots from the new nut. You can measure the right nut height by fretting the string at 3 fret and looking the distance between 1 fret and string. There should be a little gap between.

If you're in a hurry, put a drop of super glue in there with the end of a toothpick, spray with that curing agent, and repeat until it's either high enough or you can file it down a tad so it's perfect.

While at times in my life I've been accused of using the universal "fix-it-all" called Duct Tape, when it comes to my instruments I'm a bit more of my grandfather who always said - "It your going to take the time to do it - Take the time to do it right!" :lol:

I agree,..... replace that nut while saving the altered one so you can use it again if you wish to use that string gauge. In a pinch, the best filler is to sand a bit of the same material as the nut and mix that with the superglue for a filler. just mix it with superglue gel,..... my newest bestest friend, and use a toothpick to mix it and pack a lil bit in the nut slot. Then use a portion of the same string you are going to use to file the nut slot out and done deal. Junkyard fixes for the road!