Let's talk drop-tunings

I learned how to play in standard, but about 10 years ago I had a buddy I was working with that played in Drop-D and he played a bunch of insane chords that sounded really interesting to me, there was no way to duplicate them in standard without a bunch of crazy stretches. So I started playing in Drop-Db then. I find that I get more interesting chords than in standard, but also the progressions are a little less stock as well. And if you're doing some sort of single-note riffy In Flames type of thing, you can leverage the fact that the 5th and 6th strings are at a different interval, and that will cause the patterns in your riffs to be a little different - it makes it easier to not gravitate back towards your basic C-D-E chord progressions, or your 5th string 7-10-9th fret riffs that have been done to death. Another idea is that if you try to go from standard to drop tunings, you can try playing riffs as if you were in standard, but in drop....and you can get some interesting stuff that way too. 4ths on a drop tuned guitar sound really nasty too, for some reason they have this dirty Meshuggah sounding vibe to me.

Sometimes I even port stuff over from Drop to standard and stuff. I just love how its a totally different riff-writing experience.

have you thought of using the new standard tuning? made by robert fripp (king crimson)
He has a low C and a high G
I tried it once but needed to go down a gauge for the top 3 strings
The tuning is (from low to high): CGDAEG

dont expect it to be useable at the start though, his reasoning was that its a completely fucked up way of tuning but makes more snese than EADGBE and it makes you sort of 'relearn' the guitar, but honestly i just couldnt work it :lol:

Sorry to bring this up again, but I think 'Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday' off Enemies of Reality is in drop Ab.

The tuning is (from low to high): CGDAEG

Nah, haha thats probably TOO much of a headfuck. I want something that I can buy a single set of strings in order to tune to :lol:.

o_O Where is your progression and what condition is it in? :lol: Can't say I've done a vi-vii-i move frequently.

Well, it'd be VI-VII-i in a minor key. It's a really common chord progression in metal since its analogous to the VI-V-I resolution (which in minor key terms would be VI-VII-III, and instead of the III you're playing the i, which almost implies the III chord since they share notes)

Also, listen to In Flames or Children of Bodom, they use it ALL the time...

Ah, ok. I was seeing it as a natural minor since he didn't have the raised seventh in there or a raised sixth for some harmonic/melodic minor action. Also I wasn't totally thinking of the static chug chug on the low E string.

I've been playing Drop D for years - purely for the chordal aspect and the legato/pull off riffs that you can resolve back on the low D, if that makes any sense.

Wouldn't tune much lower than that though.

I don't understand why some bands are trying to play so fast, yet tune so low... it messes with my brainzz...
It's like trying to attach rockets to an Elephants' balls

Well, it'd be VI-VII-i in a minor key. It's a really common chord progression in metal since its analogous to the VI-V-I resolution (which in minor key terms would be VI-VII-III, and instead of the III you're playing the i, which almost implies the III chord since they share notes)

Also, listen to In Flames or Children of Bodom, they use it ALL the time...

Yeah....uhh.....that? LOL I'm terrible with theory. I fail at life, haha

I know what you meant there Matt, but I'm laughing because I would never have been able to explain it clearly.