Baritone Guitar

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
Any recommendations on a budget (possibly used) baritone guitar for rock? More of a breaking benjamin low gain rock. Shoot me some ideas pleeaase!

Still a noobie with tunings... right now I am playing standard or drop d but want to go to lower tunings. Can I just stick with my six string or go baritone or 7 string?

If you get thicker strings theres no problem to tune your sixstring lower. I'v got my Jackson tuned to B with 13-56 and it works for me just fine. But keep in mind that if you have a short 24,75 scale the strings might be a bit loose.

Anyway I'd say that it's worth trying before you spend $$ ;)

Yeah unless you are going dropped B and below, you really don't need a baritone. Although mine does sound bad ass in dropped C... Very chunky and thick...

Also If you use a baritone for higher tunings, you can get away with much lighter strings, which may be appealing to some.

You can get away with B tunings with just using much thicker strings....but it might be a pain in the ass. The longer the scale, the easier it'll be. My schecter c1 classic is 25.5, and no stranger to C standard. Still not B though...

ya my goal is to have a guitar that I can tune to B and C...but mainly B...would you guys go 7 string or baritone? or can I have my tech set up my ernie ball 6 string silhouette special just for Drop B :)? Scale length is 25.5 inches

are there many guitars out there with just marginally longer scale lengths? like 26 - 26.5" i mean that's probably not technically baritone but would be awesome for low tunings

are there many guitars out there with just marginally longer scale lengths? like 26 - 26.5" i mean that's probably not technically baritone but would be awesome for low tunings

Well technically anything above 25.7" is a baritone, but a 'real' baritone is 27" and above. If you find a guitar around 26", they are the perfect scale for C or dropped C

I have a couple of baritones. My Gibson LP Bari has a 27" scale and works perfect for drop A or B-tuning. The OLP MM5 has a 30" scale and that's good for A tuning or drop G, but in reality it's more of an F guitar, and the frets are...large. ;)

Make sure your tuning heads can take the string gauge...

I just bought a set of Ernie Ball - Not Even Slinkys and had to swap the 56 for a 54, cause it wouldn't fit through the hole.

I was cheesed.