Good Sounding Modern Production with Guitars in Standard Tuning?

what is this mystical e# note :p
nothing mystical about it, E# is the enharmonic spelling of F... sometimes you have to refer to this note as E#.... e.g., the C# Major scale and all of it's modes: C# D# E# F# G# A# B#

notice that C is spelled B# in this scale as well.

The mighty Municipal Waste come to my mind. Standard tuning, oldschool sound (lots of mids on the guitars and naturally sounding drum kit) but absolutely flawless and great modern production (clarity, punch, balls) on their last record. Absolutely loving it.

The last Death Angel was in standard, too. If I'm not mistaken...

actually, by the time Puritanical came out, Dimmu was tuning to D or Db

Wrong wrong wrong wrong. That album is in standard tuning. It was quad tracked with 2 guitars tuned to E, and 2 seven strings tuned to B. Silenoz told me that himself. Live they still play all those songs on 6 string tuned to E. They just play the B string powerchords with the low note cut off.

oh shit, good to know...I can play most of the songs on my Db tuned guitar, but used a 7 string makes sense I guess

Yeah, my wife kept tuning her guitar back to E to play Dimmu stuff....

I would have to say Dimmu pulls off the E quite well though.

I almost cant stand to play in E except when fooling around with shred guitar practice.

I saw a new Exodus Video on HeadBangers Ball and it sounded like they were in standard tuning or something close.

I just dont like that tone. Sounds weak IMO. D is about as high as I would go nowadays.

+1 one on playing in standard for the most part, Metalworks - and your wife plays Dimmu?!? That is fucking tits dude :headbang: