EQ in your master chain

abyssofdreams

knows what you think.
Sep 30, 2002
Germany
www.abyssofdreams.com
anyone does that? or doesn't?

the thing is, with a stereocomp doing its work I often find myself boosting the highend quite a bit after the comp and sometimes boost a tiny amount of 60-90Hz for glue, sometimes drop 160hz to clean the mud.

I'm moving towards ditching the master EQ altogether but I'm still unsure if that might be a step backwards since I see so many doing stereo mix EQ for that extra polish...I'm not talking about fixing stuff that went awkward in the mix, mind you ;)

anyone does that? or doesn't?

the thing is, with a stereocomp doing its work I often find myself boosting the highend quite a bit after the comp and sometimes boost a tiny amount of 60-90Hz for glue, sometimes drop 160hz to clean the mud.

I'm moving towards ditching the master EQ altogether but I'm still unsure if that might be a step backwards since I see so many doing stereo mix EQ for that extra polish...I'm not talking about fixing stuff that went awkward in the mix, mind you ;)

Leave it and send it to an ME?

Glue? That's a compression thing as far as I know.

I personally think that the most invaluable thing about going to an ME is "second opinion"... and the nice gear! but I'm totally biased as I'm an ME that occasionally produces records (I happen to be working on metal release at the moment).

If you're going to send it to an ME, I ask clients to submit versions with and without, so do that.

If you're not going to an ME, then see if you like it, listen to it in different stereos, send it out to friends (with a clue - and without), post it here, to get opinions. If you're happy go with it! why not!

Leave it and send it to an ME?

Glue? That's a compression thing as far as I know.

I personally think that the most invaluable thing about going to an ME is "second opinion"... and the nice gear! but I'm totally biased as I'm an ME that occasionally produces records (I happen to be working on metal release at the moment).

If you're going to send it to an ME, I ask clients to submit versions with and without, so do that.

If you're not going to an ME, then see if you like it, listen to it in different stereos, send it out to friends (with a clue - and without), post it here, to get opinions. If you're happy go with it! why not!

Then glue might be the wrong expression here. I meant some sort of evening it out depending on the Q.

Am I missing something here or EQ on master is some kind of "wrong mix fix" for people that doesn´t have access to the individual tracks of the mix?

In the way you're describing it -- eq-ing to change the spectral balance of the mix -- yes, you've heard this yourself and I can confirm you're not hallucinating.

Why then do mastering suites inevitably include some eq?

For musical styles where every song has different instruments and perhaps mixed by different people (some electronica, industrial, pop albums, etc), mastering eq is usually necessary to keep the overall sound reasonably consistent from one track to the next. If you work with nothing but metal, it's easy to forget that other types of music have different demands but mastering studios have to deal with all kinds of client material, and most of the "tips & tricks" pages you'll find on the web aren't written with metal in mind.

On a metal album usually the core instruments (rhythm gtr, bassguitar, drums, lead vocal) are the same sounds in all tracks, so that consistency is normally there anyway. In that case master eq is only necessary for compensating for lack of flatness in the monitor setup used in mixing - or "bad" decisions made by the mix engineer. And mastering engineers, as you say, do not normally have access to the individual tracks.

It may also be necessary to eq to compensate for tonal changes caused by the other fx in the 2-buss chain - like Abyss of Dreams says about compression losing some highs. That's a different issue to what you're describing, 'cos in this case you're eq-ing to maintain the spectral balance of the mix rather than to change it. If you're mixing and mastering simultaneously, you can eq the individual tracks to pre-compensate for 2-buss compression, but this will change the response of the compressor to the mix, perhaps audibly and perhaps not beneficially. That depends on the particular mix and the sound you're going for of course - sometimes post-compression eq will be the perferred solution.

I do it here and there- depends on how much it affects it, for examle I found that a few mixes I did about a year ago were very dark over all and a bit muddy, I boosted some highs and cut some low mids and it made a massive difference to those mixes overall, but lately as my ear gets better and I'm getting better at knowing how a mix should sound I've not really been using it so much, I try it and if its not helping then I don't use it, I find too it can be a useful tool for coming towards the end of a mix, if you sweep around on the 2 bus you can find something that makes your guitars sound better in the context of the whole mix so then I stick that onto the guitars and take it off the master.