Eq presets

joeban1986

john walsh
Jun 17, 2011
Im aware that this probaly has been posted a few thousand times but im really in need of some basic guidelines to mixxing, ive been recording for a while but never really stepped into the world of mixxing before, i was wondering if there were any kind individuals out there who wouldnt mind sharing a few eeq presets for mixxing metal or distorted guitars in generals. Im aware a preset is merely just a guideline something to get you started and then u meddle along until u find what suits that guitar in the mix, but i am a newb at mixxing and require just a little bit more help then the average person lol programs i use that presets would be awesome
superior metal foundry(i mainly use the andy sneap presets)
waves
amplitube 3
izotope ozone
but for sending a preset if it were for waves that would be awesome
thank you for your time and cooperation everyone
also please no hatred on this thread for i have already stated i am aware of probaly how much something similar to this was posted so keep it at a low please

you just started mixing but you own plugins worth a few hundred or thousand dollars?
and you even asked for presets?

*waiting for the other guys to chime in*

Just use the search function, you won't get presets at all because it just doesn't work,
and there's way more than eq, try to learn the basics of eq and compression and so on
and than use your ears, that way you will learn more than you will ever learn by using
presets.

you just started mixing but you own plugins worth a few hundred or thousand dollars?

*waiting for the other guys to chime in*

hahaha yes I was thinking the same exact thing!

but anyway dude, those cracked waves plug-ins you bit-torrent'd all have a bunch of presets you can load up...but to be quite honest, unless its for reverb, presets are totally useless...

The only presets that work really are compression presets. They will get you in the ballpark but you have to adjust the threshold yourself.

I was going to say... Good thing you didn't advertise to say you have Slate plugins, as a resident of the forum he would be on you like Chuck Norris!

i feel like this guy is actually a troll, guys lol. you would know the way everyone acts around here even if you read a couple threads. most people browse a forum before joining. so im just thinking, who in their right mind would post a question asking for eq presets, and they have programmed drums(big no-no if you want amazing sound production, for the most part anyway), the virtual amp that almost nobody would recommend even if they did recommend a virtual amp, and a mixing/mastering suite that only has maybe 3 good uses. i knew this much just from browsing for 2 days lol

Eq presets don't work. Period. No one can tell you how to eq your guitar/bass/drums/whatever if they can't hear it.
Is the source muddy? fizzy? honky? muffled? All these symptoms will require a different treatment. And even then that's not taking into account what the other tracks in your mix are doing, which also makes a huge difference. (i.e. what your bass sounds like and what it's playing will have an effect on what eq treatment you will need for your guitars!)

Compression presets can be an ok starting point, but even then they need to be tweaked to the source.

i feel like this guy is actually a troll, guys lol. you would know the way everyone acts around here even if you read a couple threads. most people browse a forum before joining. so im just thinking, who in their right mind would post a question asking for eq presets, and they have programmed drums(big no-no if you want amazing sound production, for the most part anyway), the virtual amp that almost nobody would recommend even if they did recommend a virtual amp, and a mixing/mastering suite that only has maybe 3 good uses. i knew this much just from browsing for 2 days lol

ehm.. wait.. is this like reverse psychology? trolling the troll? :err:

if an EQ has the text 'waves' on it, it doesn't make you good at using EQ any faster than some free EQ. i will even go as far and say that the opposite is true, because blindly trusting a brand that 'must be good because the pros use it' gets you nowhere.

just delete the waves mercury bundle or whatever you were given by the powers of the internet sharing and learn the basics. some good pointers were given earlier in this thread.

HPF @ 90Hz, cut 6dB at 600Hz with a wide Q, LPF @ 8kHz. Done, make room for the Grammy on the mantelpiece. Next up: Jarkko's awesome preset for delivering an earthshakingly massive wave of sexual bliss to any female mammal on the planet.* Better get your balls powdered, troops!

* Please refer to your local laws before attempting any acts of physical affection.

^I thought your joke was:

"I have your presets right here -> kermit_goatse.jpg"
eqSettings.jpg

But I was referring to this post:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/674463-were-doomed-oneknob-out.html#post9737644