EQing your amp

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
Please, tell how your EQ your amp and what amp you have.

All of a sudden, my amp is starting to sound like crap so maybe i can fix it with a new eq setting.

My amp is a Marshall AVT50 by the way.

How is it sounding like crap? Don't like the tone? Speaker shot?

Personally, I've only owned one Marshall and that's their "Microstack" with the built-in 3-inch speaker (great for practice on the run) because I don't think their products that I've tried have enough gain, in my opinion.

Well, I have a Marshall AVT150 Combo, and I EQ it thus: (1-10) Bass:4 Mids:8 Highs:4-5..and this is on the Clean channel, with no effects, and then I have my eq about the same on my GNX pedal, only with some specific gain settings/amp/cabinet modeling, blended.

perhaps something is shot in the amp, but i dunno.

I can't really describe how it sounds liek crap, I just can't get the sound I'm looking for.

One of the reasons I think is that the amp is VERY bassy and i can't get it lowered to the right amount. Depending on how I EQ the amp, there is either too much bass and i hear no treble or there is no bass and the sound is very brittle. :(

If you have pedals in front of the amp running on batteries, they may be running out of juice. Then again, sometimes my Marshall just seems to sound better some times versus other times. I vary my EQ on my amps depending on the songs I am playing. Fortunately for me, I play thru two to three amps and can always find the right sound thru the lot of em. If you have no pedals in front of your amp, try adding a Boss EQ pedal ($80). If it does not immediately help, you can still use that pedal for other applications later.

i plan on getting the EQ-20 pedal actually. i hope it can help me.

my guitar is a fender. soemone suggested thats why i can't get the sound i want. but the fender has a humbucker

I don't know if my amp used to sound better, or if my ear has just suddenly matured.

i know its not pedal batteries, because i only use adapters.

wow, thats the same exact amp i use. i use just the distortion channel.
Gain:10
Volume:whatever, mines on 5 i think
Bass:8
Mid:5
Treble:9
im pretty sure thats what i use. but it kicks ass, i get a real thick death metal tone out of her. its great. good luck.