Equipment for my new studio!!????!!

chuck1703

MYSPACE.COM/BURNINGSKIES
Apr 8, 2006
Bristol
Alright folks,
Me and a friend are setting up a studio in Bristol. We have found a place we like, just need to get it first though.
Ok, so we need gear of course, we are budgeting it first as we arnt loaded (approx £2000 - £5000). So what mixing desk/monitors/soundcard/drum mics would you recommend to buy at a good price, and of course good enough quality.
Any ideas???

Cheers guys

Chuck.C.

What sort of direction do you want to take it in? Are you after something desk based or would you prefer in the box mixing? DO you have any gear to start with at all?

I say don't worry about a mixing desk just use your computer and get a controller like the presonus faderport or mackie makes a control station as well. Go with an interface such as the Presonus firestudio or RME Fireface 800. These will give you some pres to start with but also allow you to later add more pres with the ADAT. As far as mics go for drums, get like 5 sm57's. They'll work out real well on snares and toms. For kick I recommend the audix D6. As far as overheads go I've heard great things about the Oktava MK-012 and Kel Audio HM-1, both would work out great as overheads. I'm not too up on my monitors so I don't really know what to recommend although a lot of people like the Events and Adams. I don't know how much £ this stuff cost as I would be using USD. Any way good luck with your studio.

Jordan

Nice one mate,
Thanks for your help, but wouldnt I need a mixer for recording drums though?

Nope just a load of preamps.

Also dont forget to budget for the boring things as well like mic leads, stands, cabling up all the gear, mains distro, head phones, headphone amps, oh and more cabling. I think I spend over £500 alone on cable runs and connectors for a small project place.

Nice one mate,
Thanks for your help, but wouldnt I need a mixer for recording drums though?

Nope, all i use is 2 firepods and i mix in the box. I just got a Tascam US-2400 control surface though and its about to make my world alot easier!

i just have 1 firepod (8 pres) and i can record drums really pretty well. Having a mixer really just makes things more complicated for not too much gain if any (im no expert, but it just seems this way) in audio quality (correct me if i'm wrong please). You can save a lot of money by just using some quality pres with a good interface.

Hit me up with a PM and I'll cut you some wicked deals on any gear you need.

I'd reccomend:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 I/0 - £449 - (8 channels of pre and 16 channels of ADAT I/0)

Focusrite Liquid Mix - £449 - (all comp and EQ sorted with no hit to the CPU)

Mackie HR824 monitors - £699 - (for the pair)

Mics -

Audix D6 - £159
Audix i5 - £79 (x2)
Shure SM57 - £69 (x4)
Rode NT5 stereo pair - £229
SE Electronics Z5600 - £299

SE Electronics Reflection Filter - £199

Mic stands - £20 (x10)
Cables - approx £150

That'd all come to around £3200 (without any deals of course) but the gear would be top notch and you wouldn't be stuck upgrading everything in a year or two.

Seriously, I'll cut deals for any UK members of this forum. As long as they PM me first I will work something out.

Awesome stuff. Ill be taking you up on that. Have to see what I can do you in return. Correct me if Im wrong but you work in a well known store not far from the Astoria underneath another well known store dont you?