New studio, equipment budget advice..

chdrummer

Oct 24, 2007
I already have the new desktop on the way(6 gigs of ram, i7, dual 24" monitors), but i need some advice on a few things.

Going to be using pro tools 9, so i have a better selection of interfaces. Suggestions for a decent interface under or around $700?

I think im going to get the Yamaha hs80m's but not positive on that yet.

In everyones experience, what areas do you find pouring the most money in to equipment wise helps? Monitors, interfaces, mics, etc?

The most important and nearly the most expensive endeavor is room treatment, and studio monitors, in that order. If your room isn't treated, monitors are nearly worthless to you.

The most important and nearly the most expensive endeavor is room treatment, and studio monitors, in that order. If your room isn't treated, monitors are nearly worthless to you.

totally agree! already have that in the works. just need some actual hardware advice!

Hardware wise I think the Profire 2626 is easily one of the best bang for buck interfaces there is. I'd also recommend the yamaha monitors you're looking at. I have the HS50's and love them.

The Profire is great for the price, but if you want a bit more flexability and cleaner pre's the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or if you can find a used Liquid Saffire 56. The pro 40 is great. SHITLOADS of routing options, and the pres are on a 1 to 10 scale a 9 when it comes to transparency. Unit sounds GREAT for vocals with my little tube MP in front of it. Works great for drums and guitars as well.

For monitors KRK's or the NS50's are a win anyway you look at it till you can afford Adams or Genelacs

The Profire is great for the price, but if you want a bit more flexability and cleaner pre's the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or if you can find a used Liquid Saffire 56. The pro 40 is great. SHITLOADS of routing options, and the pres are on a 1 to 10 scale a 9 when it comes to transparency. Unit sounds GREAT for vocals with my little tube MP in front of it. Works great for drums and guitars as well.

For monitors KRK's or the NS50's are a win anyway you look at it till you can afford Adams or Genelacs

ill definitely look into some focusrite stuff. have you compared the focusrite stuff to a profire?

Yup Yup, not to knock the profire cause its a kick ass unit, but the pres are more transparent on the Focusrite ... to me anyway. They didnt color the tone as much as the profire. Were are really talking a negligable difference really.

For me the Focusrite is just the shit. I LOVE IT.

Yup Yup, not to knock the profire cause its a kick ass unit, but the pres are more transparent on the Focusrite ... to me anyway. They didnt color the tone as much as the profire. Were are really talking a negligable difference really.

For me the Focusrite is just the shit. I LOVE IT.

i just watched some videos on the saffire and it looks like it has a ton more routing options.

probably getting it

Hey guys.

Im looking at buying some new gear too. What about the mackie Onyx 800R ? Looks like a good piece of gear.

Has two channels with switchable impedence. I was wondering if any of you know why the profire has such a high input impedence. 3700 ohm i belive is the input impedence. Usually would be around 2400 ohm no? Wouldnt this make low impedence mikes like an sm57 sound thin and brittle?

Im currently using a tascam fw1082 as a control surface and I have a joe meek twin q. How could I use say a profire and also use my twin q with the fw1082 anyone? Do i somehow daisy chain the profire and the twin q? I currently have the twin q hooked up to the fw1082 by spdif.

You'd hook up the twin Q to the Profire's SPDIF input, just as you're doing with your fw1082.

I've got the 800R and like it alot. The switchable impedance is a good feature and having phase flip, hpf etc on each channel is a great feature.