Erik, put down the crackpipe please.

Conspicuously Absent

Linguistically Confused
Mar 27, 2005
Berlin
5.1 systems do not ruin the sound from music. As you said yourself, it's recorded in stereo. As such, the output is stereo. TWO FUCKING SPEAKERS. I tested this yesterday. I listened to each speaker. Only the "front left and front right" aka: "regular stereo speakers" were putting out sound.

Now just in case I was being screwed here. I fired up quake 4, turned on god mode and stood in the middle of a room full of enemies and spun in circles. The sound moved. Therefore, the 5.1 works.

In conclusion: 5.1 DOES NOT fuck up your sound, it merely plays it as regular stereo sound, the extra 3 speakers merely wank-it and wait for you to put in something done in 5.1 sound.

Conspicuously Absent said:
5.1 systems do not ruin the sound from music. As you said yourself, it's recorded in stereo. As such, the output is stereo. TWO FUCKING SPEAKERS. I tested this yesterday. I listened to each speaker. Only the "front left and front right" aka: "regular stereo speakers" were putting out sound.

Now just in case I was being screwed here. I fired up quake 4, turned on god mode and stood in the middle of a room full of enemies and spun in circles. The sound moved. Therefore, the 5.1 works.

In conclusion: 5.1 DOES NOT fuck up your sound, it merely plays it as regular stereo sound, the extra 3 speakers merely wank-it and wait for you to put in something done in 5.1 sound.

hmm ... 5.1 is not stereo ... technically 5.1 is recorded and split into 5 distinct channels digitally ... if you disconnect all your speakers and leave just the center ON watching a 5.1 movie ... only dialogue will come from the center ... no other info meant for the other channels will "leak" in.

on the other hand ....

Dolby Pro Logic IS 2 channel stereo processed to split the 2 channel over 5 speakers ... if you try the same test as above ... you will hear everything in the center

yes, this is true ...

oh, ok ... I see where you were going with this, my bad.

Erik thought that a 5.1 souncard/stereo plays everything in 5.1 by default?

If so ... lay down the crackpipe Erik :loco:

cool

you might have not noticed this yet but i am the type of dude that vehemently resists any new technology and any change in what i know and like until i actually try it, at which point i do a total 180 and praise said thing's glory

so 5.1 fucking sucks gay cocks

and that's all i do (except i play SNES games that do not have god damn surround sound) besides i really really don't know where the fuck i would put more speakers and also i don't want to buy a new amp/receiver and basically.. no

Can you recommend me a good SNES RPG with an actual scenario in the vein of FFVI (not as good of course I don't think that exists).
I've played Chrono Trigger and the gameplay was fine but the dialogues/storyline were kind of tailormade for retarded 3 years-old.

ff V
ff IV

you might want to try:
tales of phantasia
star ocean
dragon warrior vi
bahamut lagoon

if you don't mind action rpg's:
secret of mana (you might think the story is thin here but uh the game is the best ever)
seiken densetsu 3

a lot of these are originally jap only but have been translated by dejap (www.dejap.com)