Opeth in 5.1

Metamyr

Feb 7, 2006
Minnesota, USA
www.clanmyr.com
So, today I decided to break my watershed DVD back out and try listening to the 5.1 mix. I only got surround sound set up a couple months ago, and had never actually listened to any music in 5.1.

So, I fired up watershed, and was immediately blown away. The surround sound mix is fucking fantastic! There's a lot of sound on the album that I hadn't noticed till today.

So anyways, after listening through watershed I found my old special edition of GR and listened to that too. Not quite as impressive of a mix, but still adds a lot to the original stereo mix.

Does anyone know if any of the other opeth albums were ever mixed for 5.1?

Also, any other thoughts on Opeth done in surround sound?

Ah, yesterday I heard The Moor in 5.1 at a friend's place, as I don't have a 5.1 set myself. It really sounded amazing, especially if you already know the tracks. They seem like new. Someday soon I'm going to take Watershed and Ghost Reveries to his place and we'll listen all three albums in 5.1, I'm looking forward to it.

Yes, the surround mix of Still Life is fantastic. However, Ghost Reveries dissapoints. It doesn't really add anything to the stereo mix except for a few brief moments here and there.

Haven't listened to Watershed surround mix yet.

Yes, the surround mix of Still Life is fantastic. However, Ghost Reveries dissapoints. It doesn't really add anything to the stereo mix except for a few brief moments here and there.

Haven't listened to Watershed surround mix yet.

Yeah, Ghost Reveries really wasn't too special. Watershed is definitely much better. Finally, i can have Mikael's growls assaulting me from every direction! :headbang:

I got my copy of Still Life today. I was a bit skeptical after hearing the rather bland Ghost Reveries mix.
But this one is excellent. The packaging also surprised me as I thought it'd be a standard double-cd case, since the price tag was low.
I haven't checked the new 2.0 mix yet, but that 5.0 (lol!) dts mix is awesome. I love the way the atmospheric guitar parts are layered in the surrounds. And some occasional aggressive use of the center speaker is always welcome!
I can't wait to get my hands on the Watershed deluxe edition!