Still Life 5.1 Surround Re-Release?

Demilich

Remember
Apr 24, 2003
Toronto, Canada
From Opeth.com:

"Peaceville records have slight, though yet unconfirmed plans to release a 5.1 surround sound mix re-release of Opeth's 4th album, "Still life". More information as we have it."

Sounds cool!

Sounds like another cashcowing idea, but it's a nice one. I was thinking the other day that it would be a logical progression for musicians to start recording their albums in surround sound. This is kind of following that idea, even if it is yet another re-release intended to milk off Opeth. I hope they get someone worthy to mix it all up. If they re-master it, I want all the fuckin flaws gone and some 'whoah that's cool' channel switching, surround action.

Great. Not only am i expected to pay massive prices for each cd i buy, but now i have to buy them twice.
Oooooh, but dont worry! The next edition will have a deluxe booklet! Or..ummm, it will be a limited edition! No, it will have a shitty bonus track on it! Yeah, and it will be marketed to only die-hard morons, i mean, fans, so you can mock your uncool friends who dont have it! Shit yeah man! Rereleasing music ROCKS! Now, lets all turn around so we can be further ass-raped by the music industry!

Pfffft, and they wonder why we download and copy songs....

Sheepshagger: You know, you don't have to buy it. Most of the time it's just a marketing ploy... most people who buy these "limited editions" are actualy people who had considered buying the album previously, but were undecided. The extra shit, as pointless as it may be, gets a few extra copies off shelves.

A surround sound re-release is much more impressive than a couple of bonus tracks.

I think it depends how well its all mixed. It'd be interesting to see how exactly they use the surround aspect. Unless its done masterfully, I won't give it a second glance. If it does justice to the majesty of the album, then I certainly will.

I will certainly get THAT album, and it will stand on its own, unpaired by any other, at the top of the highest shelf I own. This kind of re-release is something different from the tin re-releases...

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Great. Not only am i expected to pay massive prices for each cd i buy, but now i have to buy them twice.
Oooooh, but dont worry! The next edition will have a deluxe booklet! Or..ummm, it will be a limited edition! No, it will have a shitty bonus track on it! Yeah, and it will be marketed to only die-hard morons, i mean, fans, so you can mock your uncool friends who dont have it! Shit yeah man! Rereleasing music ROCKS! Now, lets all turn around so we can be further ass-raped by the music industry!

Best. Post. Ever.

I would consider re-buying any Opeth album if they had mixed them in SACD format. I don't have an SACD player (they're still pretty expensive) but I've heard them, and it is fucking AMAZING. It's like a religious experience. But just for surround sound...I don't know. marketing. bah.

the_3_toed_sloth said:

Terrible outlook. Get a job then, or buy one less 6 pack a day. ;)