Still Life 5.1 Surround Re-Release?

Great now I have to buy the 2005 Acura TL which comes standard with a $5000 DVD audio sound system, complete with satellite radio and thicker side windows to enhance audio quality. Peaceville, you just cost me $34,000. :)

i really dont see anything wrong with the production on SL. i personally think its the best sounding cd by opeth, not to mention the best in general. but you never know, they could do a good job on it. i just dont see any problems with the most recent release but i'll probably buy it anyways since my SL cd broke while in my pocket.

KevyCanavan said:
I have the Dark Side of the Moon 5.1 version and it is fantastic, but i just cant imagine how a metal album is gonna work out in surround sound.
I too got the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon because everyone insisted that the sound quality was SO much better, especially because the 20th Anniversary remaster from '93 sucks (which it does). I am by no means an audiophile, and have listened to the SACD in full only once... it DID sound quite a bit crisper, but the surround effects could've been more dramatic and interesting. If I remember right, James Guthrie wanted the effects to be subtle, which isn't really the way to go with re-releasing an album.

Decadent said:
Sheepshagger: You know, you don't have to buy it. Most of the time it's just a marketing ploy... most people who buy these "limited editions" are actualy people who had considered buying the album previously, but were undecided. The extra shit, as pointless as it may be, gets a few extra copies off shelves.
A surround sound re-release is much more impressive than a couple of bonus tracks.

Heh, im going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess that this was aimed my way...
My problem is that these 'marketing ploys' are aimed at the fans who already HAVE the cds. Who cares more about suped-up quality sound more than those who already know and love the cd? Its not that i reckon the added bonuses are pointless; the opposite really, its that its so awesome that they are probably going to get me to buy it again - and im guessing at full price. NOW, if they could come up with, say, a scheme where you could trade in your old Still Life cd and get the new one at a heavily reduced price, THEN i would start dancing happily....

NineFeetUnderground said:
Terrible outlook. Get a job then, or buy one less 6 pack a day.
<cough>........hilarious.

I think it would be interesting to have our man Steven Wilson do the mix.

From PT.com

In Absentia wins award 09-15-2004
The multichannel mix of Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" was recently awarded a Surround Music Award (SMA) for the best surround mix (non-orchestral) of 2004. The awards, held in Los Angeles, recognize the most outstanding surround releases of the year; the award committee is a panel of expert judges that include personnel from Sound & Vision, Pro Sound News, Widescreen Review, Surround Professional, NARAS, USA Today, Highfidelityreview.com, and Los Angeles-based radio station KCRW.

I have this version as well as the origional and it is pretty f'n sweet.

Ok, then. Out. :devil:

Most of my Opeth-listening friends can't find Still Life anywhere currently. Was it
supposed to be this rare? I mean, it's not like I had problems finding it, but I find that people who have been listening longer than I still have yet to acquire it. And they're trying too, for the most part.

So I'm guessing that by current availability, SL was the best choice.

they can order from a local barnes and noble, i believe i paid $17 for household delivery (took about 5 days)

Personally I downloaded SL in the first place. I may as well buy a 5.1 version. I just wonder how much they could actually do. Would they stick one guitar in one place and another on the opposite end? So what? A Pink Floyd album I can imagine would do 5.1 wonderfully, but there's not much to do for Opeth.

deliverance said:
i ordered it at centurymedia.com for about 13 USD...it took me all of about 10 seconds to aquire it, after i started "looking", haha. so i can't feel your pain.

So by acquire you mean that it shipped to you and was on your doorstep in just 10 seconds after you saw it on CM.com....?
And it's not my pain anyway :p I found it on amazon.com for $12.

I'm actually shocked that anyone would consider releasing an Opeth 5.1 surround album. Any word on what format it will be in, DVD-A or SACD? I have a 7.1 system that I rarely get to use in multichanel audio as not a lot of band that I listen to have the popularity to get DVD-A and SACD releases. I do however have the Porcupine Tree - In Absentia DVD-A and I do agree with Mr Samsara, that disc is nothing shy of phenomenal. However, Steven Wilson had nothing to do with the surround mixes on the DVD-A release. They were done by Elliott Scheiner and mastered by Darcy Proper at Sony Studios in NYC. Elliott Scheiner won an award for Steely Dan's 'Everything Must Go' from the Surround Music Awards 2003. Panasonic worked with Scheiner to develop a “great-sounding, true discrete multi-channel sound system” for the new Acura TL which Risquit seemed to be commenting on! By the Way Risquit, that $34,000 doesn’t include the price of the disc. You are going to need to at least factor in another $20 or so! None the less, if anything… We should be hoping that it is Elliott Scheiner mastering the Still Life 5.1 mix. And to say the least, I am very excited that there is even consideration of a release like this!!!

Funny, I don't see anything at all wrong with Still Life the way it is. It sounds fine to me. All Opeth albums do.

I understand the need for certain albums from other bands though. For instance, the older Borknagar stuff. I love it, but the sound quality is shit. I enjoy clean recording when I'm listening to a studio album. I can understand a little muffleness on a live CD, etc.
So yeah, I think it's good that they do this to certain albums where the budget didn't exist before, but there's just no need in this case.

The idea isn't to make good of an album with crappy sound quality, it's to further enhance an album that would definately benefit from being heard in higher definition.