ESP M-II sounds wavy (oscillating tone)

ali3

Sep 14, 2008
Hello guys,

i bought an ESP M-II. The problem is the wavy tone:

Example: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3109806/test.mp3

I tried already different amps. I can hear that the problem comes from the guitar itself. I am sure that the pickups aren't the problem here. I already lowered them.

It happens on every note and is more notable when playing chords ( cause of addition)

Strings are fresh.

i'm really despaired.

Thanks

What are you tuned to? What gauge strings are you using?

Strings: Not Even Slinky Nickel Wound - 12 56
Tuning: Drop B

But i happens with every Strings, Tuning and perfect intonation

Cant listen atm but I bet its the springs from the Floyd. Try dampening them or getting aftermarket "noiseless" springs

Bridge is fixed. Happens even when taking out the springs.

Edit: Do you agree it sounds "shitty" ? Guys in another forum told me it's normal for distorted guitars.

i could be that it is a lil bit out of tune in this clip.
but i have this "wavy" sound even with perfect tune and intonation (even after ajustment by a "pro")

You are not bending the strings? Like this isn't poor technique or anything right? Your floyd rose isn't somehow moving is it?

Fret a chord, see if you get that oscillating sound (you probably will), and then check each individual note that's fretted on a tuner to see that each note is intonated correctly? That's what I would try, though I am unsure if this is a good or even valid method of measurement.

i dont think this thing sounds shitty at all.
but it sounds to me like its periodic and noise induced which is screwing the signal.
did you tried those amps at home?
or maybe the pups are too high so try lowering them.
of course you get lower output but the more lowend-sub appears
too with a more square tone and without that 150hz-ish instant feedback.
edit: oops i have to correct myself listening for the second time maybe you can score out the noise stuff i said as that isnt really audible but would definetaly recommend you to check the pups

Sounds to me like the guitar is out of tune and/or it's not well intonated and/or you're fretting a bit too hard maybe and/or the floyd is not completely locked.

damn i shouldnt post when im baked as f*ck.
before you sell the poor thing i would go for heavier gauges.
60-13 should be fine cause you wanna pick hard and its not baritone scale.
again i think this "oscillation" is kinda normal and gives a character to your playstyle