Essay on the effects of Metal on listeners

Chimaera

Oct 28, 2009
Scotland
So I have to do a discursive essay for my English class and I've decided to do it on the subject of Metal and whether it has negative effects on the people who listen to it. Obviously I'm arguing against this theory so I thought I'd take advantage of my membership here and ask for your opinions and ideas on the subject. I'd also appreciate links to things like this: http://cognitive-psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm/psychology_of_heavy_metal_music

I already have a few ideas of the areas I want to cover but I want to see what you guys come up with first. Unfortunately I won't be able to post the essay once it's done as the SQA have certain rules about posting folio pieces on the internet. Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading your replies.

I would include something along the lines of how people who are overly influenced by any kind of media, be it movies, music, games, etc. generally are either very young or have other preexisting mental/emotional issues. Rarely is a well adjusted person's behavior really altered in any meaningful way.

I bet you're the first kid ever in history to write a high school essay about this topic.

No intelligent person honestly believes that metal music (or rap, or video games, or horror movies, or comic books, or whatever media) has such a strong negative effect on people that it drives them to crime and violence. Sure, politicians say this shit all the time, but that's because (most of them) are smart enough to realize that appealing to their constituents while simultaneously gaining more control over the populace is killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Yes, as soon as I listen to any song, I instantly go out and re-enact it. Just don't come near me if I've been listening to Tool, I'll probably turn you into a Fibonacci Sequence.:devil:

I actually gave up like 98% of my death/black metal (hence the last.fm reset) for the sake of helping myself out with some depression. Really hard thing to do (deleted about 60-70% of my music library) but it's helped a bit. I mean you must be listening to some pretty third rate death metal if it doesn't fuel some anger or dark thoughts just a bit.

Yeah, listening to Devourment doesn't actually want me to kill babies, or fuck anyone's head off.

In fact, death metal doesn't really influence my emotions at all.

Yeah, listening to Devourment doesn't actually want me to kill babies, or fuck anyone's head off.

In fact, death metal doesn't really influence my emotions at all.

It doesn't make me want to go commit some violent crime but it doesn't exactly make me feel happy, even if it does occasionally give me the goosebumps/blow my mind. And I'd agree it's cathartic, but not necessarily in a healthy way.

Metal Music makes me want to kill old people and stuff. That's the effects that metal has on me. I have to self restrain myself with chains too an old rusty chair.

I have told people over the years that metal has been nothing but a positive influence in life.It's given me a lasting interest/hobby.And as far as any negatives go,well it's easy to see how the uninitiated(oldies) can come to the conclusion that metal fucks people up.I have had to deal with these attitudes from not so expected sources,such as an older friend who is only interested in the Sex Pistols,I lent him the Michael Moynihan book on the Norwegian events and was quite shocked at his reaction,he seemed quite concerned about these bands having taken things way too far.As I said I was quite shocked at his reaction,seeings though i've spent a few drunken evenings at this dudes house watching Pistols videos.I actually find it way more shocking watching an interview with Sid off his face on heroin than anything metal's thrown at me.Sure bands like Devourment's lyrics are shocking but they're just that,lyrics,there to add atmosphere and meaning to allready brutal music.

I actually gave up like 98% of my death/black metal (hence the last.fm reset) for the sake of helping myself out with some depression. Really hard thing to do (deleted about 60-70% of my music library) but it's helped a bit. I mean you must be listening to some pretty third rate death metal if it doesn't fuel some anger or dark thoughts just a bit.

You can look at pessimistic music from an optimstic perspective, ya know.

metal does affect my attitude towards things and the way i interact with people to some extent. when i get angry i do death growls sometimes.