essential elements of power metal

prince_of_darkness54321

Master of the Earth
Oct 20, 2002
royston, herts, england
Visit site
sice bloodtock has alot of power metal im assuming ppl on this board no a thing or to bout opwer metal, so i wanna sk a question ,how is power metal defined? what are the key charaterisistc, i meen if u ahd to explain it to someone what would u say

im asking this as i often get confused about weather some bands are power metal or some other metal style

Quote: Garry Sharpe-Young

Power Metal is Heavy Metal taken to the absolute, surgically precise, limit. When the major Metal institutions staked their claim they engendered a whole legion of followers in their wake. These up and coming acts were not simply content to match the volume levels of their forefathers though. Riffs evolved into complex, labyrinthine proportions, vocals scorched higher altitudes and, yes, they even managed to crank out some more volume as part of the formula. Power Metal had been borne. The acceleration of aggression afforded by the Thrash Metal movement helped boost the rise of Power Metal. As the first wave of Thrash waned a ready audience of Metal fans lay waiting for something just as heavy but with sophistication. The British guard such as Iron Maiden and Judas Priest had opened the door, now a whole flood of American Metal flooded through - Attacker, Jag Panzer, Iced Earth, Savatage and Queensryche. In Europe bands rooted in Thrash matured at an alarming rate with Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Running Wild and Grave Digger establishing lengthy careers. In latter years Power Metal itself has branched off on its own evolutionary trail spawning Symphonic Metal and Progressive Metal. A recent upsurge in the fortunes of bands such as Sonata Artica from Finland, Angra from Brazil and Rhapsody from Italy and illustrated just how global the reach of Power Metal has become. Cult acts from the 80s have been reforming at an alarming rate in order to cope with demand.

Hope this helps as I can't be arsed to write my own explanation tonight

To be honest I don't see Maiden or Priest as Power Metal.

As far As I'm concerned the first Power Metal I think of is ManOwaR. The Swords,Dragons, Loin cloths and all that imagery started with ManOwaR.

Sure, other bands had sung about things that we associate with Power Metal, Barclay James Harvest did a song in the 60's about Galadriel.

Battle Hymns was around in 1982, not long after Maiden, So I would Say ManOwaR, but most would probably disagree, I wouldn't call Iced Earth Power Metal either

heh Rainbow did power metal back in 1976.

Listen to "Light In The Black"? Last song of classic all time great heavy metal album Rainbow Rising.

Cozy Powell already had double bass pumpin'

Of course mighty Ritchie Blackmore inventedn NEO CLASSICAL.

I hate Yngwie Malmsteen. He is pants Blackmore clone.

Band like NWOBHM Jaguar also had song called Axe Crazy and they already called POWER METAL back in 1981 or 1982.

Metal knowledge for ya.

god_king said:
heh Rainbow did power metal back in 1976.

Listen to "Light In The Black"? Last song of classic all time great heavy metal album Rainbow Rising.

Cozy Powell already had double bass pumpin'

Of course mighty Ritchie Blackmore inventedn NEO CLASSICAL.

I hate Yngwie Malmsteen. He is pants Blackmore clone.

Band like NWOBHM Jaguar also had song called Axe Crazy and they already called POWER METAL back in 1981 or 1982.

Metal knowledge for ya.

well as I said ther is no definition of "Power Metal"

You believe Rainbow, I believe ManOwaR.

This is my opinion, opinions can't be wrong. You are saying POWER METAL was around in 1981-1982, so do I, ManOwaR released Battle Hymn's in 1982.

I have plenty of metal knowledge thanks :)

Basically power metal is lot's of double bass drum beats with slightly faster than normal classic heavy metal music. Strongly influenced by bands like British metal pioneers Rainbow, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden or early Schenker era UFO etc.

Most of them sounds like Japanese anime and tokusatsu theme tunes and populaised ( revolutionised ) by keepers era Helloween from Germany. Must have silly rylics like kings and blah blah etc

OK.

heres how i see it, not as a genre but a feeling... when i think of powermetal its not sumthin i tap my toes to or mosh to or act like a maniac to, its something that all i feel like doin is throwin my fist up and a lil headbangin but the feelin is undescribably... in general it has to have a vocal genre, coz power metal couldnt really have a black metal vocal, has to have a heavy metal type vocal or sumthin to that extent, but when ur in power metal in my "opinion" (as stated befor this is only my opinion and im sure alot will disagree with it:)) i dont really keep track of the many genres, theres 2 many and with mags like metal hammer and kerrang throwin up a new genre every week i jus lost track ages ago... id class every band on the mainstage of bloodstock other than paradise lost power metal... and not just because i dislike paradise lost but just simply because the whole style of paradise lost was completly different... it didnt feel the same...

power metal to ME is metal that gives an air and a feel of power from the stage if that makes sence... and every1 will always have a different view of it!

Powermetal is the most stupid arse of a term ever.

Most of the bands that get lumped in the Powermetal catigory are just fuckin Heavy Metal bands. Why try and split a movement?

An example is Helloween. Yeah they were one of the best Thrash bands ever, and then they mellowed out and are now Heavy Metal. What makes them ant different from other Metal bands like Maiden, Priest etc is beyond me.

if you want to look back to the 70's and early 80's to look for the root of power metal then you should surely look no further than Led Zep. John Bonham also used double bass like Cozy Powell. In addition the imagery was there too in alot of the songs. Vikings, battles etc. However, I think this band....like Priest and Maiden were major influences on what we now know at Power Metal. Manowar took it all a stage further with Battle Hymns and then the likes of Helloween developed the genre.

As for Jaguar..I seem to recall...and I did see them a few times .... along with many other NWOBHM bands ...they were basically of that genre....not power metal! This was phrase coined by Sounds who were quite good at placing labels on bands at that time!

Hey..thanks for the metal knowledge!! I guess I need it!!

As I've said before, the first time I saw the phrase powermetal in print was in an Kerrang! article on Pantera, on the Cowboys From Hell tour, when Phil Anselmo said something on the lines of "We are not Thrash metal, we are Heavy Metal or you could call us Power Metal as we are so damn powerful".

That to me makes sense. Power Metal should be powerful, and most of these so called power metal bands are about as powerful as a wet paper bag.

I honestly thought that Dragonforce sounded like Bonnie Tyler. Me and my bro were pissing ourselves. They were awful, I was waiting for Total Eclipse of the Heart!

Now if you'd gone to the small stage and watched Bates Motel and Fourwaykill you'd have seen real power.

Hello but JAGUAR's press documents already stated that they are POWER METAL like back in 1981 check the Sanctuary's re mastered double CD. So don't say ex glam metallers Pantera made Power Metal just because of pathetic Phil Anselmo debut. ( Mind you I love that cowboy from hell ) If you don't believe it buy Juguar's anthology CD. Axe Crazy is bloody Power Metal. But I have to agree with dragonmaiden about them bein' NWOBHM cos they didn't make Axe Crazy esque tunes that much like Dutch Connection etc. Kind of proto thrash.

And Manowar is not Power Metal. So shut it. Manowar's guitarist still living with his mum.

The reason I want Paul Di'anno is that so I get to see him beating up pathetic Hammerfall and Manowar fans.

I'll join Paul for the fracus. Paul Di'anno is my all time favortite maiden vocalist.
Second is Blaze. I really dislike Dickinson.

When you listen to song like Exciter by Judas Priest or that Light in the black by Rainbow it is bloody power metal. Because I said so.

Jon Hiseman's collosium had bloody double bass drum jazz rock back in the late 60's man.

and I'm only 24.

Power Metal is also known as Speed Metal.

So there you go. :wave:

Nice shoes black lagoon.

You are weak. Who said Paul Di'anno is waste of fat skin?

You said Dragon Force sounds like B T. I think their fans are WT.

what the fuck... thats fuckin kid like, wantin fans to get linched coz they like a band you dont, id pay to see a few manowar and hammerfall fans try and get battered by paul... so how would you like paul stored afterward, cremated or jus buried??? :)

god_king said:
Nice shoes black lagoon.

You are weak. Who said Paul Di'anno is waste of fat skin?

You said Dragon Force sounds like B T. I think their fans are WT.

I said Di'Anno is a fat waste of skin.

Well, I've learnt alot today.

ManOwaR aren't power metal, power metal is also called speed metal, only power metal is true metal, AC/DC Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden are Kerrang whores.

I really hope someone is taking the piss, or high on crack.

Scouser

What are you bitching about.

THE REASON I dislike Iron Maiden is that they are STATUS QUO of metal. ie. Motörhead, AC/DC etc. This quotes are from Paul.

They always makes same soundign boring albums and everyone should admit that.

I don't like guy like David Bowie but at least old f**k like him makes interesting evolving music.

And those bands I've mentioned are always on Metal Hammer UK and Kerrang.

Just because Judas Priest has gay singer people start biggoting for being homophobic and they don't get much attention as those avobe mentioned bands.

Manowar is rubbish.

If my opinion sucks then so does yours.

-I-