Ethereal Collapse - Fallen Hope

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Ethereal Collapse - Fallen Hope
Self-released - 2005
By Philip Whitehouse

um.gif

This group of youngsters (aged between 19-21, last I checked) from the States have checked in with a demo EP that showcases a sound that you'd expect from guys at least eight or nine years older. The four tracks that make up the Fallen Hope EP sit somewhere between old-school thrash a la Testament and Destruction, and somewhat more modern Gothenburg melo-death, like Jester Race-era In Flames. What's even more surprising is that they've seemingly intentionally avoided any more modern/commercial elements like 'core vocals, breakdowns and suchlike to concentrate instead on more involving song structures and extended lead breaks.

This is all delivered with significant enthusiasm and talent, and while the band's tightness does occasionally waver at times, in general the relative complexity of the material and the quality of the riffage make these four tracks an engaging listen. The vocal performance is a little love it or hate it, however - the mix of rasping and growling can grate if it's not exactly what you're into, but it does make the lyrics quite discernable. The production of the EP is adequate too, although it has been mastered pretty quietly, making for some jump-out-of-my-seat moments when my MP3 player has flicked on to the next folder after the fourth track's end.

There's a potent balance between brutality and melody showcased within, and given the budget for a decent studio recording and the time and practice to really tighten up as a unit, I suspect Ethereal Collapse will be a name that we'll be hearing from in the near future.

7.5/10

Ethereal Collapse's Official Website