Even the orchestra is real. go figure out!

Erik Monsonis

Nov 18, 2006
Mexico City
www.darkhouseaudio.com
Hi!

This is a friend's project that I helped in mixing and mastering. Everything is real, real drums, real mic'd bass, real mic'd guitars, hell even real string quartet and a brass section for a couple of songs!

I didn't track or edit anything here. I should also say that the recording of this album took more than one year, because of technical problems.

The first song is really nice and chilled, absolutely no samples used in drums.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/425433/mixing/song 6.mp3

The second song is plain metal:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/425433/mixing/song 7.mp3
I used samples on kick and snare, kick is 100% sample while snare is about 40% real 60% sample.

Both songs and all the songs in the album belong to a conceptual album, so there are parts that keep coming back through songs, really cool IMO.

Want details? Ask! :D

Cheers!

It sounds really good man. I didn't notice any jarring difference in tonality between the drums in the two songs with and without samples (listening to them separately), which is good IMO as you really shouldn't. Both sound fitting for the song and close enough to work as part of an album. I'd maybe raise the levels on the violins in the first song slightly, but other than that everything sounds great IMO

Cool stuff man! It sounds really good! This forum is weird. The users want to complain about the gear which each other is lacking in, not review mixes. haha. I really like the kick and snare here. It's a shiny production, but not too shiny.

What does your vocal chain look like here? What kind of 'verbs are you using, and how?

*asks a bajillion questions*

Thanks! :D

Snare is about 40% real snare, I'd say most of the body comes from the mic'd snare. I also used slate's 12Az1 and Z4 (room is almost as loud as close mic'd in this record) and no reverb send. Also some Sonor SQ2 snare samples that got posted around here not too long ago, just for a bit more crack.

As for the processing, all the snare tracks feed the snare buss. Tracks are compressed and EQ'd before hitting the snare buss compressor and then there I shape the final snare sound with another EQ (just a small boost in the lowend for "thump"). No reverb sends or anything, just the natural room and the sampled room.

Cheers!