Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Event - Human Condition
Inside Out Music America - 2001
By Rodrigo

/images/covers/Event_humancondition.jpg

A hard rock band from New England, Event has come out with their sophomore release Human Condition. Event’s music is characterized by plenty of techno loops and programming. The main songwriter of the band, guitarist Shaun Michaund, has been obviously influenced by bands like Nine Inch Nails and Garbage, two bands who use plenty of samples, loops and programming for their sound. Yet as far as the guitar work is concerned, Shaun just plays very basic riffs and very sporadically shows off a solo. The main strength of Event is bassist Jay Rigney. His bass lines at many times are front and center and his playing is definitely unconventional. However, Human Condition is an album that fails to impress and captivate the listener.

The ever-present slow tempo of every song is downright tedious and annoying. As I listened to the album, I grew frustrated that Event did not speed things up, it is definitely a test for one’s patience. Another complaint I have is that the songs feature tempo changes that simply ruin the cohesiveness of the song. All of the sudden they go from one point to the next and it sounds really awkward and not well done at all. It almost feels like rather than make a structured song, Event feels the need to be as progressive as possible just to show that they can do it. Maybe this is an album better fit for musicians or other people who appreciate this but it just does not work for me.

Even some of the parts that I found interesting, the dark programming intro of "Twisted Game", the excellent bass work in "The Director" and "Faces" and the faster verses of "Human Condition" are not enough to make this album enjoyable. My advice is to avoid this album unless you know what to expect and you enjoy this sort of music.