Ever heard of this manuscript ?

Belgar

The Wallonian Redneck.
I just finished reading the Ibn Fadlan manuscript. It probably is one of the few written book on life among the Norsemen. The story might change a little depending upon what translation or edition you are reading. The movie the 13th warrior was also based on it (which is almost nowhere near as good as the manuscript itself, blame hollywood for that). As for the "wendol" the debate remains open as to who they were, but they sure were not animals. It also tells the story of dwarves in the Norse world, maybe explain why they found their place in scandinavian folk. Anyways, I can only recommend this manuscript.

I have heard of Ibn's writing down info of the Norseman and that's meant a huge lot for the historians and to what we know today. I haven't heard of any dwarves or weird semi-animals though, what's that about? I think he was also the one who said that the Vikings had their bodies covered in paintings like green trees, and still people are discussing whether they were tattooed or just body paint.

About Wendols, heard an opinion. Probably they have to be interpretated as Berserker, who used to live, following the tradition, in lonely places far from the society. This was in the beginning, then it is well known how certain men could reach this status after an hard and long secret discipline to join the armies and to be used in the first line.

Thanks both for the opinion.

To Patric, what it says about Dwarves is that when parents gave birth to a child born a dwarf he had to be abandonned in the forest it is quoted as so ".... it is in the way that the parents first come to know that their infant child is a dwarf, and a creature of magic, who must be taken to the hills to live with others of his kind. This done, the parents give thanks to the gods and sacrifice some animals or other, for to give birth to a dwarf is accounted high good fortune." Apparently they were highly prized for their weapons and good crafting of metal. They were also regarded as soothsayer. Odd enough dwarves were also well respected in Egyptian culture.

To Cadarn, from what I have read, the Wendols had many features of the Neanderthal, they were described as very hairy and their skull had a different shape and could have been nomadic tribes that were spared by the rising Cro-Magnon specie. Hard to prove since very few bones have been recovered to prefectly reconstitute a Neanderthal skeleton. That would give a different meaning to the 30-40K years that are supposed to separate the Neanderthal and the Cro-Magnon. Some tribes could have survived in isolated regions of Scandinavia. But again was the storyteller trying to impress? he describes the vikings as giants, when in fact most were around 165-170cm heigh. It is hard to say who the "Wendols" really were, described by an arab he might have given his own personnal description and more. Remember that educated Europeans in late 1800 described Negroes as some bizarre mating of men and apes or even argued aloud if they should be considered human beings at all.

Aye, dwarves were highly praised. ALL weapons and other magical things worn by the Aesir (such as Skibladnir or Gyllenbørsti) were crafted by Dwarves. Real weird episode you quoted there, I've never heard of giving birth to one of them before...it's common in Nordic folklore that a dwarf may replace a human's child with his own child tho.

hm it seems as if it's quite hard to come by at least here in sweden, i tried searching for it using a searchengine that checks all major online bookstores and the only thing i found was this: "Eaters of the Dead: The Manuscript of Ibn Fadlan Relating His Experiences With the Northmen in A.D. 922" and it said that a guy called "Michael Crichton" was it's author :|
i assume this isn't the one you read Belgar? could you write down the title of it? that would make the search somewhat easier :)

The book written by Michael Crichton is very close to the manuscript.
Before you read it, he warns that he did not modify the story, but adapted some of the sentences so it would be read like a book. The original manuscript wasn't written in the form of a book (as you can imagine), it was more like a journal. I would recommend his book.
I have also read a book written in french on arab representatives. Other books about the Rus in northern europe, or viking trades with the arab world do mention this story. The Crichton book is the closest you can get to the full story, the rest are historical studies that are available in some book stores.

Actually, if you read through eaters of the dead, it is made clear that althoug it has the original count at its source, it is wholly fictional, having fused the aforementioned work with more or less beowulf. I actually enjoy the book a great deal and Chricton does a masterful job of disguising his novel as an historical text, putting in erroneus footnotes and the like...it is by the way this that the 13th warrior is based upon.

I have read pieces of the manuscript, but I havent read the whole thing, its quite hard to come by...

About the "Wendols", although Cadarn's theory on them being Berserkers is quite a good one, I dont think this is the case...
Given the fact that they acctually were able to kill quite a few of them and survive several attacks...
In the sagas the "heroes" are often able to kill one, maybe two of them...so killing hordes of them wouldnt seem likely...and the Berserkers had a place in the Viking society, they was the bravest and most feared of all the warriors, able to ignore pain in battle.
It is often said that the Berserkers would eat mushrooms to get "high" and that that is the reason they were able to ignore the pain...
However this is wrong...the Berserkers were able to go Berserk by going into a state of mind, where everything was focused on the battle...
And by no mean do I find them to be even close to the "Wendols" that Fadlan describes...

All warrior cultures were known to use substances to get into that type of fury. Also, the Berserks (bar.særk meaning eh, bare-shirt) didn't always fight naked. They were known to dress in wolfscloth on their upper body or skin of another animal to get into it's "mana". This is very related to Shamanism, which we in turn learned from the Finns/Sames. Oden was even known to learn this from the Vanir, who specialized in this.

Same with the Indians in America when they were smoking the peace pipe with the white men. It would get the whites so high that they would quickly burry the hatchet with the Indians :) . A buddy of mine also has a cactus one you can find in the US desert) at home that if you grind it and mix it with a drink, it will give you allucinations such as seeing your friends as animals (remember the natural born killer movie?). That explains why most people in Indian culture had animal names. I guess some were getting so high from smoking it that it would really give you an invincible feeling when fighting, hence the berserk/frenzy state of mind.

Haha, I never considered that but I guess names like Big Pee Elk has a deeper meaning to it. The Indians shared the same thoughts as us regarding magical animals anyway, that we each had some animal that was related to us and if our soul felt like leaving our body on some nights, it would appear as just that animal. You can read about it in some of the old Saga's, like the one about Kveldulv.

i had a theory before i knew better that the viking berserkers used opiates in battle that they had found in the middle east. this theory came to me after i read that there is evidence that the vikings got as far as india(possibly) as they had found spices used in india in viking towns. i guess i should'nt base a theory on a theory though.

I don't know, we've got various enjoyable herbs and shrooms in Scandinavia too so why import? There's some heavily intoxicating and psychedelig plants here, that witches were also known to use for their journey's at night.