One of the most asshole-ish things I've ever heard

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Today I was recording this client and for some reason, the percussionist they hired for recording will not be able to do his thing, and the 2nd option was creating all kinds of excuses. So, they were looking for alternatives and I suggested this guy who is a great great percussionist - he is very tight, quick, has great gear and is a great fella. They asked me his phone number, so I went downstair and asked the studio janitor and my boss. Both didn't have it, but after I asked my boss followed me and started saying something like:

- I don't think we should bring him here...

(we've tracked him a few times already, so I was like 'huh?!')

- he has a studio, he promotes his studio on Orkut so I don't think we should help him bringing him to record here.

I always even more 'huh?!'

- We got a lot of guys here that could track this thing, and I don't think you should promote him. He has a studio and he should stay there. He likes to show off his studio, so he should stay THERE.

I was speechless for a moment, as he was saying with a threatening tone, so i just turned away and went back to the studio.

THe thing is, I know he is an ahole most of the time but...Isnt this too far? I mean, the guy is a pro musician. Can't we just separate that from him being a studio owner? Also, his studio is just a small home studio, with a bunch of prosumer stuff, it is just a different league from where we are. I really don't see problem in it. Also, because of this, can't I promote my own business because my boss doesnt like other studios promoting ? At the same time I felt like the most idiotic act I ever heard, but also kinda threatened, because I've been promoting my stuff heavily in the past couple months - and i wont stop that.

Not really.. no.
If he owns a competing studio, i totally understand why your boss doesnt want to bring him in.
Especially if its true that he is promoting his own studio.

I've seen this attitude with some studio managers/owners. It's ranged from slight hostility to full-on, pure hate, which I find utterly ridiculous. I have my own business and promote my own commercial mixing and mastering service, and yet I often work out of other studios and I'm in good terms with everyone. Well, at least AFAIK, since I've worked for two rival companies, hahah. I've even handed out contact details of other producers for bands who have asked me to work with them but in the-end weren't sure if I was the right guy for their music style-wise. IMHO it's a lot better to make positive contacts than enemies in this business.

A studio with $3k worth of gear is competing with a studio with $80k or more worth of gear? He's not even on the same city. Honestly, this is for small minded people. I'd rather have a good business relationship with competing studios than spread hatred that will probably come back to us (something that is already happening). I just think it is stupid like Jarkko said, to show hostility to anyone just because they have their business.

I certainly wouldn't ever stop another studio owner using my place, however, I don't allow other studios to advertise on my studio noticeboards and I don't allow people to list second hand guitars etc. on my shops noticeboards.